When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just had a revelation on my '41 Westfield...

-

alecburns

Finally riding a big boys bike
When I got this bike 2 years ago, the owner had told me that the original paint had faded to a light blue, from the dark blue and dark red with white pinstripes as it originally was. I took this as the truth and got a deal on the bike, took it hoe, put it in them room and didn't pay any mind to it till today... when I noticed the Pope decal had just the smallest border of dark blue around it. I looked at the other areas of the bike where I previously thought remnants of the white pin-striping remained, only to notice that it was in fact the original, solid stripes peaking through the thin overlayer of paint. One timid scrape of the overlayer with my finger nail confirmed it. THERE IS A NEARLY UNTOUCHED/PRESERVED FINISH UNDERNEATH THE REPAINT!

It has since jumped up on my priority list of items to restore. The person who painted the light blue on the bike was very good. They had taken the entire bike apart, and painted it, even painting right up around the OG decals.

That being said? What have you all used to carefully remove the top layer of paint on a bike? I have seen some use CitriGel. Is that the best? For the pinstriped areas, I want to use a very delicate solvent if possible to control how much I take off. Thanks for your suggestions.

here's the paint going right up to the decal's border. Some flaking on the top left.
IMG_0692[1].JPG

You can see the white pin-stripe "peeking" through
IMG_0695[1].JPG

Last;y, there's the tube darts. You can see where the top layer flaked off, the paint exposed to the elements was weathered off. Underneath, I suspect a full, rich red, white and blue.
IMG_0696[1].JPG

This will be one sexy bike...
IMG_0694[1].JPG

Back