When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I took my last targeted ride out for a spin tonight. This is the last bike I ever purchased that I built from scratch. Every bike after this one was picked up opportunistically, and not because I sought it out.

When I built it, I was at the very tale end of what I consider my youthful years and finally had the money for one hast plunge.

This was supposed to be the last one I ever built (not just the last mountain bike, but the last bike ever). When I built this one I was in peak physical condition and no expense was spared. Every single component on it was the exact component I wanted. At the time it was built, I really did tell myself that this would be the last bike I ever build.

Well, that did not work out as planed, It did put me on at least a 10+ year bike building purgatory before I discovered a new found interest in vintage bikes.

I have now handled and played with probably just as many bikes post this purchase, as I have prior to it.

It's still a fun ride, but I no longer use it to its potential. I do have to admit, tonight it inspired a whole different level of confidence. Its a pretty cool feeling to be able to hit a curb at full speed, and if you hold on tight, there is no need to lift your rear up of the saddle. Little obstacles that detour me on my other bikes, are not even a second thought on this one. It almost makes you believe you could ride over anything.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Tonight I rode down a flight of stares and also hit a few street curbs head on just for fun, and in the photos, you can see the markers on the fork from the absorption. I only managed to use up 1/2 of its travel.

Last edited:
Short ride to the neighborhood nursery, 64 Traveler for me and 54 Rocket for my daughter. Got a 2 for 1 deal on some late season tomato plants. With the rest of the west having record heat in recent weeks the marine air conditioning is on full blast sucking the fog into the bay every night and the tomato, bean and squash that should be thriving now with occassional days in the 80s are suffering mildew with a July of 50s-low 70s. On the upside if we have a mild fall we can get fresh tomatoes in the back yard on New Years Day. Hope springs eternal for us gardeners...
agkhSs66sknQi8_aLqw8qusesxgv_vOdlklVueKFAc9S8NkCrw74hFAJ_rCjjO-h9dFnWHc0tcDj7dw&owa=outlook.live.jpg

Got in my 100 mi for the week - all in the last 3 days. Steve and I made a hard ride yesterday, meeting a group in Alamo Heights and taking the long way home first heading east to the greenway, then north to his house. With his wife riding stoker on the steel Santana tandem today, we took our more standard route for 28 mi.
I was first in the 7-mi sprint to the Alamodome - Chris said he could have beaten me from a stoplight downtown, but holy, cow, he left at least 2 minutes before I did. I'll also have to admit some strong contenders were absent today.
The tandem coming up the ramp at the Alamodome. I didn't get a solid lead on them until the first hill coming out of the park - tandems are tough.
wqYCnJn.jpg

I asked Tad leading the second group if he had seen them - they stopped at McDonalds for a nature call.
bWdv5LR.jpg

Tad @petritl looked particularly spiffy today in celeste and blue trim, and sporting brand marks.
pYLCF1m.jpg

Back at Steve's house with my Moser put away.
a9udWEQ.jpg

It was beer-brewing day. My tailgating buddies are stoking up for a trip to the Reno Air Races next month, where they'll help crew, and especially cook and tailgate for a race team. Today's batch will be a 5-gallon keg of Zythos IPA.
uy2GsXe.jpg

Steve has a microbrewery at home. Sanitizing the brew vat (and everything else)
8FPzIRi.jpg

Steeping the grains
5OGfchL.jpg

Adding the liquid (and solid) malt
9Y1SOTx.jpg

Then the process moves outside, and looks like we need at least one more witch
fs2NIZm.jpg

boiling the wert and adding hops in timed stages
fGgsv8r.jpg

of course all these stages gave us a lot of time to drink more than a bit of beer and shoot some 9-ball. I was 7-4 to win the day.
53dVYiK.jpg

siphoning the finished wert through a counterflow condenser into the brew vat, before adding the liquid yeast
aQqkwlc.jpg

Measuring the specific gravity - 1.084 -
tGeD7J4.jpg

- after fermenting a week, (ok, then dry hops and a secondary keg fermentation), this will be an 8% IPA.
lzFw1wz.jpg

And between the bike riding, beer drinking and pool shooting, we worked up an appetite.
Maybe a simple marguerita pizza? OK, maybe not - I think we need artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, capers and bacon
5Mo1HTf.jpg

The same tailgating crew that's going to Reno will be on a coast kayak fishing trip with me in October - we'll be eating well there, too
UByduEb.jpg

Last edited:
Super-Fun day riding my 1936 Electric with Jason @birdzgarage on the old moto-bike to Long Beach and back.
IMG_8674.JPG

IMG_8678.JPG

"I don't always stop at red-lights; but when I do, I take a picture of my Bike."
Tried out this great breakfast place along the way, Ham 'n Scram.
It was really good!
IMG_8676.JPG

IMG_8677.jpg
IMG_8693.JPG
IMG_8705.JPG
IMG_8706.jpg
IMG_8720.JPG
IMG_8723.JPG
IMG_8732.jpg
IMG_8733.jpg
IMG_8740.jpg
IMG_8742.JPG
IMG_8747.jpg

The It's It mint ice cream sandwich tastes awesome after 40+ miles riding.

Back