When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your KLUNKER 5, SPITFIRE 5 or CRUISER 5

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Looks like it says 880. Or 088 if your standing on your head.
Thank you for the reply. Another friend said his says 378. I’m just trying to find the correct number because I have a frame and I’m trying to find a kickstand for it. Thank you again for the info.

Thank you for the reply. Another friend said his says 378. I’m just trying to find the correct number because I have a frame and I’m trying to find a kickstand for it. Thank you again for the info.

Probably can't go wrong with the 378. The Spitfire's stand is the crap galvanized piece and I know they used different numbers for the different finishes. 378 might be chrome verses the galv..

Partial_Kickstand_List.jpg

Last edited:
Why does that chart have so many lines that say the same thing? Any idea? That’s confusing. Anyway, I just figured the kickstand would be different on a 5 speed because the frame is wider for the rear hub and the stand may have a totally different bend.

It's some type of shop list for inventory, ordering or ?. It's not confusing, just repetitious so you can't read between the lines. :p The later ballooners used the same stand as the middleweights but you have a point on the fact the chain stays have a wider spread with the atom and gear cluster. I'm sure a vice and cheater bar would take care of any minor difference on a 378 stand. I have never seen an 880 stand for sale on eBay or seen that number on a list, and I've never really paid any attention to the stand numbers on my Spitfires or Cruisers.

Some of my minty virgin 5 speeds had a paperclip that was attached to the rear fender mounting tab on the stand tube. The clip was always painted with the bike color so it was attached before paint and I've come to the conclusion that clip was a production indicator for a 5 speed Atom frame with the wider spread. If the stand tube angle was slightly modified to accommodate the wider spread the stand would be the same as the coaster models. What's the spread difference between the 5 speed Atom frames and coaster frames, .75"? so each stay is 3/8" further out at the dropout?

Last edited:
Here's an "81 I picked up a couple of weeks ago, in nice shape and appears to be original except for the Wald fenders. The serial starts with "MR", for December 1980, which is interesting because the strike at the factory (if memory serves) was from October 1980 to February 1981, so Schwinn was able to keep some kind of production going even during the strike. On the other hand, it was going pretty slow, because the head badge number is 1521, which I calculate to be June 1, 1981. The Atom drum rear brake has been dropped in favor of a Weinmann Type 1080 caliper, and the Person's seat introduced for 1980 is gone as well, but it still has the forged fork and the Positron derailleur. The seat and calipers aren't "Schwinn Approved", ("Weinmann", "Dia-Compe" and "Mesinger"), but the hubs are. It's still a handsome bike, even if it was built by scabs! I wonder how many of these strike bikes are out there?

View attachment 842146

View attachment 842147

View attachment 842148

View attachment 842149

View attachment 842151

View attachment 842152

View attachment 842153

View attachment 842154

View attachment 842155

View attachment 842156

View attachment 842157

View attachment 842158