When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Built TANKLESS 5bar thread(Hawthorne Twin)

-
note this is not my bicycle , Shawn and some others noes whos it is , its number one in my books the same as his other bicycles .

DSCF5975 (1).JPG

DSCF5976 (1).JPG

This is from the 1937 Montgomery Wards Christmas sales catalog.
I hadn't seen this particular advertisment before.
image.jpeg

I had an internal debate going about the correct headlight for the initial version of this model bike, but now, I think it's pretty safe to say, that the standard single post, front load Delta "Torpedo," is the correct light for this inaugural Monark built,Twin-Bar/5Bar bicycle.
image.jpeg

Here's the mail order form.
image.jpeg

Wouldn't it be crazy, to fill this out, mail it in, and have a brand new Hawthorne Twin-Bar show up at the door about six weeks later?
I can just about hear the Twilight Zone music now. Lol!

"Weighs only 50lbs" That'll build them calf muscles young fella! I love reading this old advertising. V/r Shawn

Yeah, the other catalog copy from the 37/38 Fall/Winter catalog was so blurry, that you couldn't read it.
I made sure to get a nice clear picture of this one, for future reference.
The ad in the Fall/Winter catalog appears to show the bike with a standard torpedo light mounted on the fender, but then shows what looks like the "fat" torpedo in the specification detail.
The text is so fuzzy, that you can't read it clearly, which I think led to the confusion over which light was correct for the first generation model.
The only original bike I've seen with its light intact, was the standard type Delta Torpedo with the single post fender mount.

This is from the 1937 Montgomery Wards Christmas sales catalog.
I hadn't seen this particular advertisment before.View attachment 861422
I had an internal debate going about the correct headlight for the initial version of this model bike, but now, I think it's pretty safe to say, that the standard single post, front load Delta "Torpedo," is the correct light for this inaugural Monark built,Twin-Bar/5Bar bicycle.
View attachment 861424
Here's the mail order form.
View attachment 861423
Wouldn't it be crazy, to fill this out, mail it in, and have a brand new Hawthorne Twin-Bar show up at the door about six weeks later?
I can just about hear the Twilight Zone music now. Lol!
Yeah, the other catalog copy from the 37/38 Fall/Winter catalog was so blurry, that you couldn't read it.
I made sure to get a nice clear picture of this one, for future reference.
The ad in the Fall/Winter catalog appears to show the bike with a standard torpedo light mounted on the fender, but then shows what looks like the "fat" torpedo in the specification detail.
The text is so fuzzy, that you can't read it clearly, which I think led to the confusion over which light was correct for the first generation model.
The only original bike I've seen with its light intact, was the standard type Delta Torpedo with the single post fender mount.
Thanks so much for this Marty!!! What a great reference! BTW...I told ya it was just a regular Delta torpedo:smirk:

This advertisement is from the 1938 Montgomery Wards, Spring/Summer catalog.
It looks like the frame is still Monark built, but the components/trim have changed quite a bit from the 37/38 Fall/Winter catalog entry.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back