When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dutch made Gazelle Roadster.... maybe 1936-37?

-

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked up this Dutch made Gazelle single speed with coaster brake the other day. It looked old but what caught my eye was the beautiful Lepper saddle. Here is some info on it based on some research that I have done. It has oval seat stays. It has a Koets rear light. The frame number is 494979. The bottom bracket measured 43mm. The chainring has a leaping Gazelle. The Chainguard is covered in a treated cloth. It has rear facing dropouts with tensioning screw. The seat tube has pump pegs on the rear side of it. It used to have covers on the rear fender, maybe to protect panniers? The frame measures 24". There is also a locking mechanism with key on the rear wheel. The 28 x 1 1/2" rims are steel not aluminum. I bought this bike from a man who moved hear from the Netherlands but he didn't know a lot about it. I have found the attached chart of frame numbers and associated years. The only stamp I could find on the rear hub was a lone 3.

Could this really be a 1936-37 model? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
-----

vestige below rear lamp may be remains of a license.

on the backside view of chainwheel what is the bulge down near the shell?

appears it may be an item separate from chainwheel, part of chainguard mount perhaps?

looks as though it may wear markings...

-----

Interesting find. Rear light is a Koets "B". The rear fender covers are coat protectors. There are a few Dutch websites with more information on old Gazelles. Will try linking to them, but am limited to my phone this week, so results may not be pretty ... :)

-----

vestige below rear lamp may be remains of a license.

on the backside view of chainwheel what is the bulge down near the shell?

appears it may be an item separate from chainwheel, part of chainguard mount perhaps?

looks as though it may wear markings...

-----
Good question. I will be looking at that further.

Your best bet is probably this website, by Herbert Kuner:

http://www.rijwiel.net/index_2e.htm

I see he even has an English version. I've been in touch with him before on Dutch finds in the US, and he's been most helpful.
Thank you. I have looked at that site and found some good info however some of the links on it haven't worked for me, specifically the "dating a bicycle yourself" link.

I will try to email Herbert Kuner. Thank you

Last edited:
Back