When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you ride your bikes or display them only? Sore knees and numb Bum.

-
I like collecting old balloon tire bikes but not really riding them.When I used to ride it was a modern Trek,narrow tires with 120 PSI in them

I’m 6’2” and like tall bikes. I have one 2 - 24” bikes. 1 - 23” and my shortest one is 22”. The 22” is an all original 1919 Iver Johnson model 90 Racer in beautiful condition. I don’t really don’t want to ride it because it’s so nice being 100 years old. It’s not something you want to touch up or change out parts when needed, so it sits in my dining room. I ride the others that I have had to build up. View attachment 874683
Same here. I have a 22" Western Adlake & a 24" Napoleon I ride from time to time, with G&J and Reading 24'' bikes waiting for some parts & love to get them back on the road. As far as ballooners, I tend to stick with the optional 20" frames, tho a couple 19" bikes have proved quite comfortable.

I’m 6’2” and like tall bikes. I have one 2 - 24” bikes. 1 - 23” and my shortest one is 22”. The 22” is an all original 1919 Iver Johnson model 90 Racer in beautiful condition. I don’t really don’t want to ride it because it’s so nice being 100 years old. It’s not something you want to touch up or change out parts when needed, so it sits in my dining room. I ride the others that I have had to build up. View attachment 874683
VERY cool. I agree. Some bikes are simply pieces of art and better enjoyed displayed, untouched, as is, or altered to taste, restored. whatever. I have a few that won't be ridden, or only occasionally. I'm sure those of us that do ride, have favourites.

I like collecting old balloon tire bikes but not really riding them.When I used to ride it was a modern Trek,narrow tires with 120 PSI in them
Yeah, higher pressure tires sure make a difference. I thank John ( repro chains) every time I roll out one of my heavy metal mammoths for a ride. Vince, it doesn't matter if you ride now ( you did) or ever did....was.... were.... are.....going to...did..didn't do, you know I know what you mean, you know? Hmnn.....?

You are enjoying the hobby, obviously still collect, and are a key fixture to the CABE, having fun, and that's what a hobby should be. Keep up the humour ( Canuck spelling) it's great!!!

The frames on most ballooners are closer to juvenile than to adult sizes. The bottom brackets are often higher than they need to be, and the frames smaller than they should be for an adult. An "adult" bicycle of the 1930s-60s era would more resemble a utility bike like a Cycle Truck; Schwinn New World; or an English 3-speed than a fully-equipped ballooner. The idea was to sell these premium ballooners to teenagers who wanted to emulate an airplane; an older brother's motorcycle; or dad's car.

But that does not mean an adult is strictly unable to ride these bikes. Look for as large a frame in an ballooner as you can find, and then enjoy it for "what it is".

Enjoying It For What It Is
You're not going to make your best circuit time with one of these bicycles. They're heavy, have slow tires, and usually only have one speed. But you ride these bicycles for the fun of what they are, not for speed. It's ultimately up to the rider to decide what he enjoys most about the bicycle. Some riders may temporarily remove accessories so they can climb hills near their house, while others will insist on going 100% equipped and original. Either is fine, provided you don't do anything to permanently harm or damage the bicycle. It's about comfort, an attractive bicycle, and the sheer fun of a simple and vintage machine on a nice, summer evening.

https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/p/riding-balloon-tire-bicycles.html

I think all these bikes should be ridden - they exist to be ridden. But the rider just needs to keep the natural limitations of these bikes in mind. They certainly have circumstances where they make great riders.

Yeah, higher pressure tires sure make a difference. I thank John ( repro chains) every time I roll out one of my heavy metal mammoths for a ride. Vince, it doesn't matter if you ride now ( you did) or ever did....was.... were.... are.....going to...did..didn't do, you know I know what you mean, you know? Hmnn.....?

You are enjoying the hobby, obviously still collect, and are a key fixture to the CABE, having fun, and that's what a hobby should be. Keep up the humour ( Canuck spelling) it's great!!!
TY for the kind words.maybe at some point I will try to ride again.I havent rode since 2012.I really enjoyed early morning rides and being able to see nature that cannot be seen in a car. I have coasted past deer,coyote,etc.and other nature and they were not spooked by my presence.

Fortunately I don't mind if I look goofy - I've set my bikes up to ride comfortably for me. I feel like I'm taken back to the thirties when I ride them.
For the record Mark. I quote....
"I think a classic bike with the seat tube in the clouds looks goofy.
Another Caber” I can't stand the look of a saddle jacked up to Jesus for added legroom."

Your bike and pictures look tasteful, yes, you do look a bit big for the bike, but who cares? Not my point at all. Keep enjoying it. If your knees ache after a long ride, you know why now. I do not see an elevated seat tube. Chill man.

TY for the kind words.maybe at some point I will try to ride again.I havent rode since 2012.I really enjoyed early morning rides and being able to see nature that cannot be seen in a car. I have coasted past deer,coyote,etc.and other nature and they were not spooked by my presence.
You are welcome Vince.....Yeah, I agree. Visions of nature and even architecture we blindly drive by in our cars, can be appreciated more on a bicycle. ( to a lesser degree on a motorcycle or convertible..ha!!) My G/F and I see lots of deer and turkeys, wild ducks etc. on our rides. I hope you can get out and ride again. Go slow and low, but above all be safe. You are a one of a kind treasure we need for the CABE. ( and many loved ones no doubt!)

Back