When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you ride your bikes or display them only? Sore knees and numb Bum.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
4551043E-F587-4278-80B4-812088A6C273.jpeg

Ride on....

I do both. I have bikes I collect and bikes that I ride. I try to make sure all are ridable, but I'm 6'1" so I usually need to jack my bikes up to ride them comfortably. Plus I like huge soft comfy seats. So I leave the nice originals be and ride the junk :). That said, these days I focus more on the junk more than collecting. I really like to ride.

I don’t have any room to display them, they're for riding, even when I'm not wearing a ridiculous outfit......
WP_20180701_16_01_53_Pro.jpg

That's me on the left by the way!
If you're going to ride them without proper height adjustment, that's ok, but think of your knees and your back first! It's crazy.

Like many here I do both. I have some very nice bikes that I display that I will also ride occasionally and I have other vintage bikes that aren't quite as visually as perfect that I ride more frequently. Probably my favorite and most ridden bike is a '41 Westfield Custom Deluxe. My girlfriend's favorite is the '37 Roadmaster Supreme. Both of us are a shade under 5'6" so comfort adjustments is not as much of a challenge. Anything bike I acquire will be ridden at some point. If not by me then maybe my grandson. So I make it point to try and set each bike to where they not only ride great but will be comfortable as well because they should be fun to ride. When I got my beautiful Monark it rode horribly but with a little work it now rides as good as any bike I own even if the seat is a little hard on the butt after a while. I have a spary painted X53 that looks OK but is a great riding bike that I enjoy taking out.

I have a '41/'46 Hiawatha (Shelby) that I display just because I love the colors. When I first got it I rode it half a block and the pedal fell out of the crank arm. The crank arm at some point had stripped out and would no longer hold the pedal. Someone had attempted a repair sometime in the past but the repair failed. I could have just displayed it but I wanted to be able to ride it and show it off. Fortunately I have a good neighbor that had the metal skills to fix the issue and make it look as good as new. I was able to ride the bike in the 4th of July parade this year and it rides beautifully.

I started messing with these bikes for 2 reasons. First it captured my imagination from when I was a kid. I learned to ride on a large red bike in about 1965. The bike seemed old at the time but I can't say if it was 5 years old or if it was 20 years old and there are no pictures of it. But the memory of that bike led me to fall in love with old ballooners. Secondly, riding these bikes gives me something to do and share with my grandson. He now rides a vintage Stingray and and just loves old bikes. So sharing the love of bikes has become a family thing.

IMG_6305.JPG

IMG_5522.jpg

IMG_5580.jpg

IMG_5975.PNG

IMG_5976.PNG

IMG_5481.jpg

Like many here I do both. I have some very nice bikes that I display that I will also ride occasionally and I have other vintage bikes that aren't quite as visually as perfect that I ride more frequently. Probably my favorite and most ridden bike is a '41 Westfield Custom Deluxe. My girlfriend's favorite is the '37 Roadmaster Supreme. Both of us are a shade under 5'6" so comfort adjustments is not as much of a challenge. Anything bike I acquire will be ridden at some point. If not by me then maybe my grandson. So I make it point to try and set each bike to where they not only ride great but will be comfortable as well because they should be fun to ride. When I got my beautiful Monark it rode horribly but with a little work it now rides as good as any bike I own even if the seat is a little hard on the butt after a while. I have a spary painted X53 that looks OK but is a great riding bike that I enjoy taking out.

I have a '41/'46 Hiawatha (Shelby) that I display just because I love the colors. When I first got it I rode it half a block and the pedal fell out of the crank arm. The crank arm at some point had stripped out and would no longer hold the pedal. Someone had attempted a repair sometime in the past but the repair failed. I could have just displayed it but I wanted to be able to ride it and show it off. Fortunately I have a good neighbor that had the metal skills to fix the issue and make it look as good as new. I was able to ride the bike in the 4th of July parade this year and it rides beautifully.

I started messing with these bikes for 2 reasons. First it captured my imagination from when I was a kid. I learned to ride on a large red bike in about 1965. The bike seemed old at the time but I can't say if it was 5 years old or if it was 20 years old and there are no pictures of it. But the memory of that bike led me to fall in love with old ballooners. Secondly, riding these bikes gives me something to do and share with my grandson. He now rides a vintage Stingray and and just loves old bikes. So sharing the love of bikes has become a family thing.

View attachment 874851

View attachment 874852

View attachment 874853

View attachment 874854

View attachment 874855

View attachment 874857
Great story and pictures!! Nice bikes! Thanks!

Back