When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray serial number project.

-
First, I want to say I'm not disputing what you say, because I don't have a clue as to what year it is. Just trying to understand. Soooooo the first post in this thread is completely wrong? It states they first started stamping the serial numbers on the left rear dropout in 1965????? It also states 1980 was the first year they were stamped on the head tube. Signed CONFUSED!!!!!!

Trying to figure out how to decipher this Flightliner serial number.A gentleman on a FB page told me it was a 1961 but I am trying to find out how he came to that conclusion.The serial number is (502 46672 550947).I understand that the 502 means murray,built for Sears but that is all I have nailed down.Thanks for any help understanding this.

DSC02238.JPG

DSC02250.JPG

Reactions: JLF
First, I want to say I'm not disputing what you say, because I don't have a clue as to what year it is. Just trying to understand. Soooooo the first post in this thread is completely wrong? It states they first started stamping the serial numbers on the left rear dropout in 1965????? It also states 1980 was the first year they were stamped on the head tube. Signed CONFUSED!!!!!!
Digger, Murray numbers are some of the toughest, especially because they were coded differently for different stores! I believe the serials moved to the dropout starting with the new '58 line, generally called Flightliners, after the popular Sears model. They all have the long pointy dropouts. They originally had twin top tubes, but was simplified to a single tube around '65, and they built the later version until the late '80s.

Last edited:
Trying to figure out how to decipher this Flightliner serial number.A gentleman on a FB page told me it was a 1961 but I am trying to find out how he came to that conclusion.The serial number is (502 46672 550947).I understand that the 502 means murray,built for Sears but that is all I have nailed down.Thanks for any help understanding this.

View attachment 868772

View attachment 868773
It's a 1962, '4667' is the Sears catalog #, which often changed yearly. '61 was the first year for the chrome frame, and '63's were the last official year for the JC Higgins name.

Digger, Murray numbers are some of the toughest, especially because they were coded differently for different stores! I believe the serials moved to the dropout starting with the new '58 line, generally called Flightliners, after the popular Sears model. They all have the long pointy dropouts. They originally had twin top tubes, but was simplified to a single tube around '65, and they built the later version until the late '80s.
Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate it.

Back