When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1869-70 Bone Shaker

-
Mike, Many boneshakers were not marked. Of those marked, many had hand engraved plates that were pinned on. Look for 2 holes about 1 1/2 " apart, many times on the top spring above the rear wheel. If you find the 2 holes that is where the plate would have been. Some were stamped on the spring. Move the saddle and check under it any signs of maker. Now hear is the best part. Google Sterba Bicycles in the Czech Republic, if you have never been there , it will blow your mind. You will be able to view a lot of early collections along with Robert Sterba`s huge personal collection. You may find the exact machine you have and be identified.
Farmboy 1895
@Farmboy1895 Thanks for the information and specifically on Sterba I will look his website later.

Mike

It's a little earlier period than I'm familiar with, but the style and inconsistency of the lines of the filigree look like someone's later attempt to replicate the idea of filigree (plus the paint on the spokes strikes me as later work), but that is a beautiful find regardless! I would love to see what something like that is like to ride. Wonderful machine!

It's a little earlier period than I'm familiar with, but the style and inconsistency of the lines of the filigree look like someone's later attempt to replicate the idea of filigree (plus the paint on the spokes strikes me as later work), but that is a beautiful find regardless! I would love to see what something like that is like to ride. Wonderful machine!
I agree, paintwork of the filigree detail looks a little amateurish, but great find nonetheless!
Here are photos of a typical style of badge, albeit from a legendary maker.....
WP_20180918_18_01_31_Pro (3).jpg

WP_20180918_18_01_31_Pro (2).jpg

Here are photos of people I rode alongside back in July; 14 mile ride, with minor hills, epic!
First picture, just a mile after starting.....
C9ECA2CB-AD32-488F-A7FA-78C26A4AC139 (2).jpg

Second shot of a different rider & machine shows the end of the ride, very tiring.....
WP_20180701_14_23_19_Pro (4).jpg

Love that sprung frame, reminds me of some of Hirondelle's later tubular frames.
Love the rim repairs too.
Love it all!

I agree, paintwork of the filigree detail looks a little amateurish, but great find nonetheless!
Here are photos of a typical style of badge, albeit from a legendary maker.....
View attachment 888913

View attachment 888912

Here are photos of people I rode alongside back in July; 14 mile ride, with minor hills, epic!
First picture, just a mile after starting.....
View attachment 888914

Second shot of a different rider & machine shows the end of the ride, very tiring.....
View attachment 888915

Love that sprung frame, reminds me of some of Hirondelle's later tubular frames.
Love the rim repairs too.
Love it all!
Thanks for sharing the tag location and the pictures. Looks like my seat needs to move forward a good bit!

Some characteristics of Mike's "Phattiremike" Velocipede remind me of the manufacturer Pickering, most specifically the axle bearing design. I am not saying for certain it is a Pickering, only that it does have some similarities in construction. https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Pickering_and_Davis

I do agree with others that the paint has been redone in later years, not original paint.

Pickering Velocipede, circa 1870 - The Henry Ford.png

8b589e70-71c2-4fbd-85e3-256a8ab72b9b-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you @Rambler based on the above photo my handlebars or the wheel need to be turned around, agree.
I’ll have a look at your link, thanks for that too!

Last edited:
Thank you @Rambler based on the above photo my handlebars or the wheel need to be turned around, agree.
I’ll have a look at you link, thanks for that too!

Possibly the handlebars/fork should be turned around, looks like the handlebar neck portion slightly interferes with the seat spring the way it currently is in the photos you posted. Once the handlebars are turned around, if the curvature of the handlebars does not seem correct, is it possible they are simply bent maybe from falling over? Many Velocipedes from this era had straight handlebars but that is not to say your bars are incorrect as curved. I'm suggesting that you look at your bars very carefully with that thought in mind and make a careful assessment based on your Velocipede.

This Picking advertisement shows the handlebars turned the same direction as the Henry Ford collection Pickering and the handlebars appear to be straight.
Im20150331RB-Pickering1.jpg

This Pickering from the Metz collection shows the handlebars turned the same direction as yours and a similar curvature but possibly it is also bent and turned incorrectly?
Im201207-Metz1.jpg

I'm not sure what the correct answer is regarding the handlebars, you will need to make that determination based on what seems correct after turning it both directions and determining if the curvature of your handlabars was manufactured that way or possibly bent by accident or on purpose at some later time.

Keep in mind, the Pickering examples I have presented are just that, examples. I am not convinced your Velocipede is a Pickering. Fitments such as bearings could be ordered from catalogs during this time. Velocipede manufacturers were like bicycle manufacturers today. They may produce a frame or purchase one from a blacksmith, purchase bearings from a catalog, purchase wheels from the local wheelwright, and purchase a saddle from the local leather tack shop. Velocipede manufacturers basically never produced every component of the entire machine. What is very likely is that the manufacturer of your Velocipede copied a Pickering or possibly Pickering copied your manufacturer. They may have even been acquaintances producing similar looking machines because of the availability of parts such as using the same bearings from a bearing manufacturer.

Last edited:
Possibly the handlebars/fork should be turned around, looks like the handlebar neck portion slightly interferes with the seat spring the way it currently is in the photos you posted. Once the handlebars are turned around, if the curvature of the handlebars does not seem correct, is it possible they are simply bent maybe from falling over? Many Velocipedes from this era had straight handlebars but that is not to say your bars are incorrect as curved. I'm suggesting that you look at your bars very carefully with that thought in mind and make a careful assessment based on your Velocipede.

This Picking advertisement shows the handlebars turned the same direction as the Henry Ford collection Pickering and the handlebars appear to be straight.
View attachment 889266

This Pickering from the Metz collection shows the handlebars turned the same direction as yours and a similar curvature but possibly it is also bent and turned incorrectly?
View attachment 889267

I'm not sure what the correct answer is regarding the handlebars, you will need to make that determination based on what seems correct after turning it both directions and determining if the curvature of your handlabars was manufactured that way or possibly bent by accident or on purpose at some later time.

Keep in mind, the Pickering examples I have presented are just that, examples. I am not convinced your Velocipede is a Pickering. Fitments such as bearings could be ordered from catalogs during this time. Velocipede manufacturers were like bicycle manufacturers today. They may produce a frame or purchase one from a blacksmith, purchase bearings from a catalog, purchase wheels from the local wheelwright, and purchase a saddle from the local leather tack shop. Velocipede manufacturers basically never produced every component of the entire machine. What is very likely is that the manufacturer of your Velocipede copied a Pickering or possibly Pickering copied your manufacturer. They may have even been acquaintances producing similar looking machines because of the availability of parts such as using the same bearings from a bearing manufacturer.

After reviewing the pictures I do see the similarities' at the axle bearing w/ where the brass ties into the steel tubing at the back of the Velo and then up at the front fork hub area where it ties in. I think the lines of the bike are similar as well as I look at the picture of mine and the picture you added. I took a file to one pedal to remove a small amount of paint my pedals are not brass.

I turned the entire wheel around that has now rectified where the handle bar neck portion was hitting to spring but the pedals now appear to be pushed way forward where it would be more difficult to pedal, I'll take a picture, but I now think I should have just turned to bars around. Also you are correct the handlebar now on the right side looks to be slightly bent back.

Mike

Last edited:
Back