When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning up my new Westfield.

-

Slick4d4d

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello fellow Cabers, I'm looking for some advice on what to use to clean up the the original paint on this 1930's Westfield bike. It looks good in the pictures because it is wet but the water dries and it is dull dingy looking. I want that wet look all the time but I don't want to damage the original paint. So any tips tricks or advice would be helpful.

20181017_100737.jpg

20181017_100843.jpg

20181017_100829.jpg

20181017_101018.jpg

Last edited:
Try Rubbing Compound. Rub it on gently especially around the pinstripes.

I like this stuff, it leaves a nice glossy shine. More expensive then most stuff you find but it goes a long way. It can be applied by hand, not just machine.
Like everything you use, be very careful around old pinstripes, I’d think about taping them off to protect them.
B9F256CA-A084-4741-A8AE-71981B3EDC26.jpeg

Look up Oxalic Acid bath[ only for the painted parts] It will require the complete disassembly of the bike, which is a good thing]. It will pull the brightness of the colors out. Abrasive compounds will remove pinstripes. I'd say one hour in a hot Oxalic Acid bath [ and no more] will do wonders for that frame, fenders and light. Then wash off with soap and water, then a light wax job with a cleaner type wax. The blue paint may seem lighter, as it has darkened with age. If your bike was red, I wouldn't do it, but blue paint works out good with OX.
See the post, "Seeing is believing," in the Restoration Tips thread.

1000.jpg199.jpg100000.jpgshopping.pngdownload.jpg51Pg+3eZJqL._SX425_.jpg

First of all great bike!

Secondly, these are the tools of the trade I personally use. TOTAL DISASSEMBLY OF BIKE REQUIRED

I learned this trick when I use to collect beer cans and would clean my rusty "dumpers" . Now I use for painted and chrome bike parts and other things as well. Citric acid also plays hell on red paints, if left too long. I use cold water to slow down the action and check periodically . After you are satisfied with the results, take the parts out, dump the pool , clean and put fresh water with baking soda to neutralize the acid . Put your parts back in the pool, let soak for a few minutes. The rinse again and again.
Like Tinker stated clean with soap & water and use a good cleaner wax. You don't have to use Mequiars, its just what I like.
I've treated lightly rust parts chrome parts with great results. The gloves are an option, but if you have the smallest cut on your hands, Citric acid will find it

And what ever method you decide on..post some pictures of your results. Have fun with your project

Last edited:
I like this stuff, it leaves a nice glossy shine. More expensive then most stuff you find but it goes a long way. It can be applied by hand, not just machine.
Like everything you use, be very careful around old pinstripes, I’d think about taping them off to protect them.
View attachment 892791

I’m with king Size on this . I don’t care for baths much , paint to old . I think baths change the color, so I lightly clean with gojo then use 3 m products. Be careful though don’t over rub with 3 m , but the results are much better and don’t harm pins and
7c18f78fdff7e068e6c37688be3e1785.jpg
emblems
Nice project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

View attachment 892792View attachment 892794View attachment 892793View attachment 892801View attachment 892803View attachment 892802

First of all great bike!

Secondly, these are the tools of the trade I personally use. TOTAL DISASSEMBLY OF BIKE REQUIRED

I learned this trick when I use to collect beer cans and would clean my rusty "dumpers" . Now I use for painted and chrome bike parts and other things as well. Citric acid also plays hell on red paints, if left too long. I use cold water to slow down the action and check periodically . After you are satisfied with the results, take the parts out, dump the pool , clean and put fresh water with baking soda to neutralize the acid . Put your parts back in the pool, let soak for a few minutes. The rinse again and again.
Like Tinker stated clean with soap & water and use a good cleaner wax. You don't have to use Mequiars, its just what I like.
I've treated lightly rust parts chrome parts with great results. The gloves are an option, but if you have the smallest cut on your hands, Citric acid will find it

And what ever method you decide on..post some pictures of your results. Have fun with your project

do you have a recipe for the ratio of water to citric acid ratio? and water to baking soda?

Back