When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As - Thor 5-speed. My latest mystery

-
-----

Thanks so much for the update.

These latest pictures show your hammer god to be clean as a whistle! Nice work.

Question regarding frame's brake bridge -

notice that rear brake caliper arm does not rest parallel to seat stay. wonder if bridge mounted with mounting hole for caliper non-perpendicular to seat stay. is mounting bolt straight? sometimes mounting hole can be noticeably larger in diameter than mounting bolt allowing for some "woggle."

Since you purchased the cycle in Belgium you know that it is a two language and two culture society. The bicycle's threading and writing tell us that the manufacturer falls on the francophone side of the divide - a Walloon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walloons

Most Belgian cycle manufacturers/businesses seem to fall on the Flemische side of the divide.

-----

-----

Au Sujet De Nord Royal -

one o' me favourite marques!

the Garage Indesteege bicycle I posted images of back in post number seven of this thread is a Royal Nord product. it carries a "RN" transfer for Royal Nord on its seat tube. note also the belgian national rampant lion symbol in the transfers. this comes from the national crest and is seen on both Royal Nord and Garage Indesteege transfers. the Garage Indesteege town is Landen which is right next to Hasselt, home of Royal Nord. Red bicycle is child model Royal Nord. Next to last image shows a Royal Nord wearing a Garage Indesteege similar transfer. Final image Belgium Coat Of Arms.
Garage Indesteege bicycle a) .jpg
Garage Indesteege St Christopher transfer b) .jpg
Garage Indesteege bicycle c) .jpg
Garage Indesteege bicycle d) .jpg
Garage Indesteege bicycle e) .jpg
Garage Indesteege bicycle f) .jpg
Garage Indesteege bicycle g) .jpg
Garage Indesteege bicycle h) .jpg
Garage Indesteege bicycle i) .jpg
Garage Indesteege bicycle j) .jpg
Garage Indesteege bicycle k) .jpg
Royal Nord child bike .jpg
Royal Nord transfer resembling Garage Indesteege .jpg
Belgium National Coat of Arms .jpg

-----

Saw this chained up while I was working downtown. Thinking I remember seeing a 73 stamping on the seat tube? Nay, seat lug.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
-----

Thanks very much.

The Nord France marque bears no connection to the Royal Nord.

"73 marking on seat tube" if on seat lug refers to the angle between the lug's two sockets...not a date.

BTW - Nord France is a "real" marque, not a contract badge.

Here are a couple pages from a manufacturer's brochure giving address and contact information (pre-internet :D:(

bhnokk.jpg

vdg6xv.jpg

[materials roughly six years later than subject cycle. subject machine's chainset, gear ensemble & saddle are later additions.]

-----

Last edited:
I realize this thread is pretty old... but...

If the fork crown was made by Ekla, you may see the word EKLA in the casting on the underside of the crown. You'll have to remove the fender to see that, of course; and even so, I make no promises.

If you're still looking for an appropriate saddle, I have some Ideale saddles from the 50's that I've put new leather on. Not quite as appropriate as a Belgian saddle, but closer than a modern Brooks.

Rudi

I realize this thread is pretty old... but...

If the fork crown was made by Ekla, you may see the word EKLA in the casting on the underside of the crown. You'll have to remove the fender to see that, of course; and even so, I make no promises.

If you're still looking for an appropriate saddle, I have some Ideale saddles from the 50's that I've put new leather on. Not quite as appropriate as a Belgian saddle, but closer than a modern Brooks.

Rudi
Thanks for the information. As far as the saddle goes that would be great. I'll send you a pm. Thank you.

Seems all the French headbadges have the word "Deposse" on them what does it mean?

Back