When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warning torches!

-

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Here's a tip..... :eek: Today I was using my Mapp torch. I have a cold so I can't really smell.... not good. My torch fixture some how became slighty loose from the cylinder. Again NOT good! Thought I smelled more raw gas then usual... I was heating up an exhaust elbow when *BLAM* my whole torch went afire... I tried to shake it to blow out flame... no good, so I ran to basement tub to drown in water... no good, I then threw a wet rag on it while under the water, better, but still flaming!!! It wasn't until the water actually went over the valve (submerged) that it finally went out (Thank God)!
Wow, I never thought it would be so difficult to put out!!! Learned something new. Now to clean the load out of my pants...… :disrelieved:

Yikes indeed!
That’s the hard way to learn to always check your hoses and connections. Glad you didn’t end up on the six o’clock news.

Dag dude! for sure you got lucky! I let some of my Son-in-law friends use my small shop - I'm pretty strict, safety glasses for general work and a fire extinguisher for welding and open flame- I'm going to add "check the hose connections prior to use" to my safety rules for shop use

Last edited:
I was hoping for pictures, so being in the news would've been cool. :p

I was hoping for a video. OMG, could you imagine the look of " I'm about to blow my own ass up" on his face as he goes running from room to room with a flaming torch in his hands?
Home........ $150K-$200K
Vintage Bicycles......$30K
Flaming torch with the look of death on his face...........Priceless.

Back