When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Survey - Patina or Stripped? Rebuilding wheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

KevinsBikes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Can’t decide if I should attempt to strip these clad rims or not. They have been painted a few times I think which doesn’t look terrible but there is a glimmer of chrome/nickel which might look nicer? Open to ideas and opinions!
5056885db3a48b17ab9a9849c7796516.jpg

fac1fff016eb80e67a077f843fc404fb.jpg

ebe2a609ea514f2b5303020be0a6e303.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to think outside of the box, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. I would get rid of that faux patina (barn paint) and get down to the "real" original patina. If you end up not liking the original patina, now hidden, you can go to Michaels and pick up a crinkle paint kit and recreate that faux patina. :p

My personal opinion, if you don't have a plan for these rims, than leave them alone, especially if you may end up selling them, leave this decision up the next owner. Also if it was the original paint I would be even more inclined to leave them alone.

However if you have a bike you plan to use these rims on and since the paint is not original, I think it doesn't much matter at this point what you do. If the bike you are putting the rims on matches the rims as-is then leave them alone. If the rims don't match the bike you plan to put them on then do what you wish with them.

Have you ever stripped paint on these type of wheels before ? If you have, you'll know sometimes you get awesome results..............sometimes you then see WHY they were painted over in the first place.( Not so awesome results ) I agree with Rambler on this one ( "if you don't have a plan for these rims, than leave them alone, especially if you may end up selling them, leave this decision up the next owner. " ) I had mixed results with these wheels . Some real nice chrome ...............and some not so nice chrome. That's the chance you take.

IMG_20170509_153932543.jpg

IMG_20170509_042336691.jpg

I plan to sell them, as I don’t have a bike for them. Now, I also have the dilemma to use stainless or galvanized spokes? Stainless are stronger but not original of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back