When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for advice on Wards Hawthorne project

-

SindeAnn

Look Ma, No Hands!
I purchased this old girl a few months back and am just getting around to seeing what needs to be done with her. She rides great. I think she’s either a ‘40 or ’41 but I’m not sure. She's missing a headlight lens and as far as I can tell everything is original except the grips and maybe the tires and seat. I’d like to know which grips, seat and tires I need. She’s definitely got her share (and then some) of patina. There’s plenty of surface rust but everything is solid underneath. My problem is that I really don’t know what to do with her. I definitely don’t want to paint or do anything major. I’d like to bring out any original color that’s left. I’ve read about using oxalic acid but I don’t have any experience with that. I could learn. Also, I’ve read something about boiled linseed oil and turpentine. I would appreciate any suggestions any of you have on the best course of action. Thanks
0105191019a_HDR~3.jpg

0105191019~2.jpg

0105191019b.jpg

Some folks use 0000 steel wool and wd40. Careful around the pinstripes and secondary colors. I’ve used steel wool and cutting compound with good results. Test a small inconspicuous area first. This bike was completely rusted. I was so amazed there was straw colored paint underneath it. Best of luck.
0D9703BD-7163-4F96-8300-F19AF8221E30.jpeg

This one screams for and OA bath. The difference will be night and day. A lot of people get scared by the word "acid". An orange probably has more acid in it than this stuff. Get a $10 kiddy pool from Walmart and put about a cup of OA in it with warm water, throw the parts in, and let it sit overnight. Pull them out and rinse with thoroughly with soapy water. Use compressed air to make sure everything is dry. a light coat of a quality wax and your done. I've never been a fan of the linseed oil as it won't bring out the color like OA will. V/r Shawn

Back