When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne Bikes--Manufactured By?? And Serial #?

-

TieDye

I live for the CABE
How many different manufacturers produced Hawthorne bikes?
473C on the bottom points to what year?

Monark, CWC & Snyder mainly but I think i've seen others including Murry and some English/European built ones, not sure of that serial # tho, seems kinda short!

Monark, CWC & Snyder mainly but I think i've seen others including Murry and some English/European built ones, not sure of that serial # tho, seems kinda short!
I need to flip the bike over and get a better look at it. That's all I could clearly see. Are there any differences that would define who built it?

MW seemed to have stricter specifications on their suppliers to be uniform than other sellers like Sears but there is always small builder specific details ( frame manufacturing differences, welds, bottom bracket, hardware etc.) to tell the difference. detailed pictures usually tell the story.

The numbers on the BB are the only ones I have found yet. There are none on the rear dropout. I have to move the bike this weekend so I can actually get to it, and pull the tank. I will check under the top downtube and the top of the bottom downtube, where the tank sits, for any other serial numbers. If you need any more pictures, let me know. I will post what I come up with when I physically can reach the bike. I need to clean yuck away from the BB numbers to make sure they are what I think they are.

Hawthorne as bought.jpg

Best Hawthorne.jpg

Just new tires.JPG

Top BB.jpg

DSC02550.JPG

DSC02572.JPG

Snyder built (construction of frame around BB and hardware is the givaway) late 40's early 50's, looks pretty OG except pedals. Don't know much about Snyder #'s but you can compare yrs, equipment & color/lettering in the Sears/Wards book.

Snyder built (construction of frame around BB and hardware is the givaway) late 40's early 50's, looks pretty OG except pedals. Don't know much about Snyder #'s but you can compare yrs, equipment & color/lettering in the Sears/Wards book.
I know the pedals aren't right. I am looking for some correct ones. Anyone have any? I was guessing Synder, so yay, I was right on that. If you, or anyone, has any direct links to catalog pages, I'd love to see them. Thank you!!
Deb

As of now I have done no reserch on this one, maybe earlier than 48 or 49 due to the dropouts having the adjustment screws. I'll post some pics of my serial number, I need some help on this one also. If nothing else it is something to compare to, super similar.

20190113_164021.jpg

20190113_164047.jpg

Post #9 might be CWC with the curves in the rear stays - and the chain ring (lazy heart).

Post #1: Montgomery Ward catalogs of the early 1920's show Schwinn-built Deluxe Flyers (Hawthorne bikes).
There are the Great Western Mfg., La Porte IN, built bikes, with the Reading Standard 8-point snowflake chain rings.

Post #6: Post war Snyder bikes often have a serial number 6" below the seat clamp, right hand side, e.g., J-654,321; (newer bikes might be elsewhere).

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/hp-snyder-question.145740/

I believe that later 1940's bikes used aluminum badges, (maybe from recycled bomber aircraft?).
The chrome-plated brass shield badges might be middle-1950's.

Last edited:
Back