When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info & history for "the Fowler"

-

gtdohn

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Does anyone have any interesting history or information on the Fowler bicycle. This one is about 1896. There isn't much out there to study. I don't remember seeing any for sale either, at least in quite some time.
Anything you might have would be appreciated,
Thank you.

1548956603924.png

I've seen a handful of them, I think there is one on letgo right now for too much money. Cool bike, I imagine they rarely experience seat tube failure? Anyway the only contribution I can make to the conversation is that Fowler made a mark in the racing tandem world with their "sextuplet" and they seemed to use it for branding purposes.

Fowler Sextuplet photograph2.jpg

Fowler Sextet.jpg

Fowler sextet pin.jpg

Basically I just want to learn about them because they are never discussed. I find the design fascinating and wondered why it didn't continue. Did Fowler or America claim the design patent?
I'll take anything you want to share.

It looks to me like Hill mfg/Fowler was the first to patent that frame design, and Ignaz Schwinn took it with him when he formed International/America.
Was Ignaz the designer?
It seems like he held the patent rights.

Back