When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help dating a monark built firestone.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok,

I am home now and dug up the books.

Starting in 1955, all models came with X 1.75 tires. It was a big selling bullet point.

Your Super Cruiser however, is pre 1953, and should have 2.125 tires, in 1953 they went to the new model springer, all 26" wheels with the double springer had 2.125 width tires.

Hope that helps.

202F0261-3408-4BE9-A988-5610DCA7C472.png

I had a Monark "Cycle King" that I believe was a '54 model, with the knee action springer.
It had 26x1.75 tires when I bought it. Never did find out if that was correct or not, but always assumed it would have been equipped with balloon tires originally.
Maybe they did come equipped with middleweight tires? Maybe someone replaced the original tires with MW tires?
Mine looked like balloon tires would fit but I never tried to see if they would.

in 1954, the only 26" model with 1.75 width was the Bearcat, again, it was a big bulleted selling point "All New 1.75" Tires."

Ok,

I am home now and dug up the books.

Starting in 1955, all models came with X 1.75 tires. It was a big selling bullet point.

Your Super Cruiser however, is pre 1953, and should have 2.125 tires, in 1953 they went to the new model springer, all 26" wheels with the double springer had 2.125 width tires.

Hope that helps.
Well I thought I was onto something lmao! So it is balloon tire bike with middleweight tires is what your saying!? I appreciate the info guys!

also...

"
The serial number is stamped on the bottom bracket and not on a plate.

# 9A267A 3650042 "

Firestone's have the model number then the serial, there isn't really much on how they did their serial numbers.

and yes, you should have wider tires.

also...

"
The serial number is stamped on the bottom bracket and not on a plate.

# 9A267A 3650042 "

Firestone's have the model number then the serial, there isn't really much on how they did their serial numbers.

and yes, you should have wider tires.
Thank you! So my theory on the shorter fender tip from the light to the nose wasn’t even close? Lmao. I appreciate all the info!

I would take an educated guess and say your bike is a 1953, maybe a late model as the front fender being shorter was the 1954 design, everything else is 53.

by the way, it is pretty freaking sweet.

I would take an educated guess and say your bike is a 1953, maybe a late model as the front fender being shorter was the 1954 design, everything else is 53.

by the way, it is pretty freaking sweet.
I appreciate all the info. It’s not mine. I went and checked it out but had questions:). Things weren’t making any sense.

General history, '53-4 were the years for the conventional springer. '54 was the last year for the ballooner models, and the ID tag. In '55, they introduced a middleweight line, badged Silver King. '56/7 there were Monark models again, like the Coupe De Ville, which had the twin spring fork. Seems they were using up existing stock, while negotiating the sale of the company to Huffy in late '57. Articles in the trade mags said that Huffy would build Monarks for the west coast. But surviving bikes suggest Huffy took over production quickly, with 'Huffarks' being just a rebadged Huffy. Also, Firestone bikes were usually stamped w/their own proprietary numbering system, often with '9A' in the codes. As for the OP's bike, I'd think it's a '55-7 middleweight, mainly because no tag, and the mw tires seem to fill the fenders. And it's way cool!

Back