When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
The recipe for a nice winter ride is:
Dry
Warm
Calm winds

It seems here in San Antonio we can only get two out the three at the same time. Today was warm and calm but definitely not dry.

Ron and Steve came to Alamo Heights on their bikes riding through the dense fog.

View attachment 942631

View attachment 942632
A tale of two Mercians -
sorry, my photos in the misty early morning twilight just didn't come out (flash was worse, just reflected the mist)
KxzX4r2.jpg

At the Alamodome
MLCcBdl.jpg

Steve's Merc will barely fit 23mm tires, and he has the skinny Portland Design Works fenders, which we needed coming in this morning - our helmets were dripping and Steve had to stop in the second block out of his neighborhood to remove his glasses for the saturating mist
1cYtnr1.jpg

Tad's sporting new wooden fenders, which he didn't want to get wet - hmmm
lx6YuHZ.jpg

I still like my coffee shot
QoDlT5C.jpg

Big difference in geometry between these two '85 Mercian King of Mercia examples
These frames are all custom - the only thing King of Mercia designates is the lug set used on the frame.
Tad's is taller, much shorter top tube, though still longer wheelbase, much more relaxed geometry with low trail and the head tube raked way out - all about comfortable touring.
Steve's is aggressive, shorter overall, longer top tube, shorter chainstays, lighter gauge tubing, steep head angle and low fork offset - built for racing
BF9wR8l.jpg

after our 28 miles from Castle Hills, in to ride with the group, coffee and back, and good round of 9-ball, Steve made a great pasta lunch. He steeped the marinara yesterday, which he also uses in his homemade pizza - Steve's freezer is always stocked with gourmet food he can turn into an extravagantly simple meal - he's better than Trader Joe's.
7oBcmUM.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad the Cyclone Coaster Ride is "Rain or Shine"; today we had both.
I left my house in FV, rode 2 miles to the River trail, 5 miles to the beach, and the beach to Long Beach.
It rained on me some; I'm OK!;)
IMG_9138.JPG
IMG_9139.JPG
IMG_9162.jpg
IMG_9169.jpg
IMG_9173.JPG
IMG_9180.JPG

I ate a big breakfast and watched all the other bikes and riders show up.

IMG_9182.JPG
IMG_9184.jpg

I'm sure that flap kept some splashes off my shoes today!:p

IMG_9190.JPG
IMG_9205.JPG
IMG_9207.jpg

1936 Electric, C-Model, by Schwinn is the bike of choice for any weather conditions.:D

My wife and I squeezed in a ride between rain storms. She kept going but I had to stop and talk turkey with some neighbors. Apparently the night crawlers are extra juicy after a couple inches of rain., yum!

Funny, living on an island in San Francisco Bay its just so odd to have turkeys, pheasants and even the occasional deer show up in recent years. Seals, Osprey, even a few dead whales, but deer?
20190203_170819_resized.jpg

Back