When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with stuck head set and stem.

-
When it comes to rusty stems and seatposts, patience is truly a virtue. Try to concentrate your applied force as close to the headset as possible--i.e. immobilize the fork at the crown, rather than the dropouts, so as not to risk twisting the blades. Lube and leverage are your friend. It may take time, but parts usually break free...eventually.

When it comes to rusty stems and seatposts, patience is truly a virtue. Try to concentrate your applied force as close to the headset as possible--i.e. immobilize the fork at the crown, rather than the dropouts, so as not to risk twisting the blades. Lube and leverage are your friend. It may take time, but parts
usually break free...eventually.

I appreciate the advice. I’ll keep soaking it with the PB Blaster.

Always use a Schwinn Wrench . And a big piece of pipe!
1549505780235.png

Always use a Schwinn Wrench . And a big piece of pipe!
View attachment 944628

There is one on eBay now, only asking 399.99 plus shipping!

Success, it finally gave in and came apart today. The locknut had to be cut off. The handlebar stem came out by putting the fork over a pole for a basketball hoop to leverage it and twisting and pulling repeatedly in opposite directions over and over. Luckily a friend of mine was available to help as it was a two man job. We used an oil filter tool to remove the piece below the locknut while the forks were leveraged against the basketball pole.

I can picture the scene... a couple of guys with a bike stuck on a basketball pole, yanking and twisting. Men against nature (or men against machine?) Then success, as the stem creaks and loosens. It's free! High fives! Open a couple of beers and survey the day's success.

I can picture the scene... a couple of guys with a bike stuck on a basketball pole, yanking and twisting. Men against nature (or men against machine?) Then success, as the stem creaks and loosens. It's free! High fives! Open a couple of beers and survey the day's success.

Sounds about right! I guess those driving by probably had a good laugh while we were struggling with a bike wrapped around a basketball pole lol.

Back