When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901 Monarch cushion frame roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rusty_apache

Finally riding a big boys bike
8320AF7E-DE0F-412D-BA0F-28F3B6C92667.jpeg

Took it for a short ride this afternoon and found it amazingly comfortable to ride. The suspension was bottoming out even with most of my 135 pounds shifted to the front tire so I added a 1/2 socket to the spring chamber and now it’s like floating on a CLOUD!
I was concerned that it might start slamming the upper range of motion with the spacer added but it doesn’t.
This is now my favorite rider!
C7FFEE12-4AEF-4770-9574-DE1716BB62AF.jpeg

Very nice bike you have there .. I also love Cushion frame bikes as I have a 1908 or so CCM Massey Silver Ribbon cushion frame.I have had this bike about 25 years or so and have put about 6000 miles on it. I also had a lot of other cushion frame bikes over the years and found that most of the springs are broken. I had 25 springs made along time ago and have used and sold them all. My Massey bike is geared great and have done 7 or 8 century rides on it. You do get a bit of bounce if you are pedaling hard.

Interesting technique for altering the spring rate, good to hear it worked well.
Does the rear-end bounce when pedalling hard, or does it just smooth out the bumps?

It was a terrible day to take out a vintage bicycle, cold and drizzling, so I didn’t pedal hard. What I know so far is that it just smooths out the road wonderfully!
The cylinders that house the spring are well fitted and greased so they do create a slight dampening effect.

Very nice bike you have there .. I also love Cushion frame bikes as I have a 1908 or so CCM Massey Silver Ribbon cushion frame.I have had this bike about 25 years or so and have put about 6000 miles on it. I also had a lot of other cushion frame bikes over the years and found that most of the springs are broken. I had 25 springs made along time ago and have used and sold them all. My Massey bike is geared great and have done 7 or 8 century rides on it. You do get a bit of bounce if you are pedaling hard.

This spring looks to be a replacement so I would like to find a closer replacement eventually.
Until then I am going to replace the little socket with a slightly shorter rubber plug of some kind.

There’s supposed to be washers?

Not being sure what surfaces the ''rubber plug'' may encounter ...
a top washer and a bottom washer may provide a bit o' mercy
to the plug while it is being asked to do a job of dampening.

We are asking that a rubber plug accept it's new job of ''dampening''.
And if it does ... it's girth is under force of constant change (ouch) ...
the very least we could do is to provide somewhat of a protective
ceiling and floor for the little plug ...

Without top and bottom washers ... that little plug may run into
surfaces that are uneven ... that may influence the function / life
of the plug itself.

Consider a technology that does not always consider all .that it could ......

There MAY have been cushion-frame machines built without benefit
of a ''hinge-feature'' of sorts. That is ... a cushion frame fitted without
a way for the rear triangle to ''flex''.

Oh --- those poor chainstays.

But not on your machine !! It has been fitted not only with a rear shock-
absorbing device .. but also a built-in technology to keep that rear triangle
in unstressed geometry ... as it is being used.

cushion frame.jpg

cushion frame 1.jpg

cushion frame 2.jpg

cushion frame 3.jpg

These last three illustrations were originally provided by CABE member... @fordsnake. Thank you, Carlton.

Last edited:
Back