When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pierce Bicycle Mega Thread + Serial Numbers

-
Very cool, looks like somebody got a little carried away with the spot welder eh? Nothing that can’t be fixed for sure , what’s truly impressive is the gear cover remained intact through all the monkeying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there is two much bottom to that gear cover from what i can see. Must have parked it over night in the rain. I use to make the gear covers for Pierce and a lot of other chainless bikes some time ago out of Fiberglass. All are gone . Was a labour of love.

I don't think there is two much bottom to that gear cover from what i can see. Must have parked it over night in the rain. I use to make the gear covers for Pierce and a lot of other chainless bikes some time ago out of Fiberglass. All are gone . Was a labour of love.

Good eye David, the shadow of the underside of that gear cover does look toasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember seeing those for sale....

Yes, the bottom of the gear cover is rusted out... I think there is enough metal left I can re-create the bottom half. Amazingly enough, the gears still turn and the hub actually works!

Finally found the serial, looks like 94090, any help with dating it?

I noticed there is an entry on page one of this thread that serial number 76088 reports no shackles on the spring forks (none on mine either) and rear hub is a New Departure / P&F Corbin, all I know is mine dont look like a New Departure model A.

I would checkout the Wheelmen link from the first page, but it appears to have gone dormant.

20190216_141442.jpg

20190217_085436.jpg

Last edited:
Here's more pics of the rear hub, any ideas what it is? The brake arm reads:

Pierce
New Departure
Patented

But... the hub shell bears no resemblance to the model A. It looks more like a model D, but even then it's really not the same.

20190217_103733.jpg

20190217_103753.jpg

20190217_103821.jpg

20190210_124809.jpg

Interesting! So does this have a model # or name? Will that help date the bike?

Edit... I just found the info on this hub on the Corbin & New Departure hub dating project thread. First made in 1901, any idea when it was phased out?

Edit#2 Looking at the chart showing the different changes over the years, Im deducting my bike was made 1902-1903 It has the Type 3 badge, spring fork (no shackle), Pierce New Departure brake first used in 1902. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Interesting! So does this have a model # or name? Will that help date the bike?

Edit... I just found the info on this hub on the Corbin & New Departure hub dating project thread. First made in 1901, any idea when it was phased out?

Edit#2 Looking at the chart showing the different changes over the years, Im deducting my bike was made 1902-1903 It has the Type 3 badge, spring fork (no shackle), Pierce New Departure brake first used in 1902. Am I wrong?
That brake was first used in 1901. Your Pierce is 1902 model.

Back