When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawthorne Bikes--Manufactured By?? And Serial #?

-
Last edited:
From an online 1953 Wards catalog: The men's match to my bike. It does appear to me that my chain ring and rear sprocket were "upgraded" to regular chain. If anyone has the skiptooth chain ring for this bike, let me know.

1953 Wards Hawthorne.jpg

From an online 1953 Wards catalog: The men's match to my bike. It does appear to me that my chain ring and rear sprocket were "upgraded" to regular chain. If anyone has the skiptooth chain ring for this bike, let me know.

View attachment 951286
I wouldn't mess with it. Odds are it's original since Snyder started using 1/2" pitch drivetrains on some models in about '41.

I wouldn't mess with it. Odds are it's original since Snyder started using 1/2" pitch drivetrains on some models in about '41.
Awesome! Thanks Mike! I just posted another thread because it would be nice to know this about all bike manufactuers. So, share your knowledge about it on that post, and about any other manufacturers that you are knowledgeable on. Thanks!!!

I also wonder if/when Snyder changed their finish on bright work; it seems that 1950's bikes have what today appears as lightly-galvanized cranks, sprockets, hubs, (hot-dipped or electro-deposited); or maybe the chrome-plate was just very thin?

Back