When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody have any thoughts on this bike?

-
------

Thanks very much.

The GB Coureur 66 launched 1962 (IIRC!), the MAFAC Racer slightly earlier but have never known exact date.

If you are able to date frame it may help with fittings choices.

BTW - who is the black spectre we see peeking in? :yum:

------
That would be Buddy. He's one of my five strays that I've kept that people have left on my property over the years. I live on a farm and for some reason people feel It's a good idea to abandon their cats out in the country. I have three inside that no longer ever go out, and two more outside farm cats that never come inside. They never leave my property though and have heated beds on my deck and in one of my barns. Why should they leave?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

@BLK80SLT great job with the restoration!

Just for reference, what's the height of the serial numbers? Is it about 3/32"?
Thank you.

Each number is about 3/16". I think the stamping on the steerer tube was the same size.
Here's an old picture from a former owner.
aab8f619bda9cedf2ead7c864c164186.jpg

------

Hello again paws XXVIII,

You mentioned in another thread that shell is threaded righthand on both sides.

Wondering what thread you determined it to be and what was used for your build.

The Francolam catalogue of 1958 shows NERVEX shells as offered in BSC and metric only. (IT, CH & 26TPI and not mentioned)

Possible that builder used a metric shell thst got mixed in the BSC bin or maybe was "just using up what was to hand."

---

One detail found slightly surprising is the absence of reinforcement given to seat binder ears. Typically, when one gets to workmnship of this calibre the builder will either "float" some brass onto the backside of the ears or else braze in a cylinder to give them support. (Note the deformation shown in the bare metal image of the seat lug.)

By the late 1970's this situation was dealt with by the employment of investment cast lugs on frames of this quality.

---

Be bend Ventoux?

---

WRT dating - currently thinking a window of 1955-60.

---

Readers: there is another discussion thread on the frame in the British forum retrobike -

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=392481&p=2902782&hilit=stallard#p2902782

[membership not required to read posts or view images]

---

All best to our buddy Buddy & friends :hearteyes:

BTW - they may wish to read or post in this thread:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-cat.107917/

-----

Last edited:
------

Hello again paws XXVIII,

You mentioned in another thread that shell is threaded righthand on both sides.

Wondering what thread you determined it to be and what was used for your build.

The Francolam catalogue of 1958 shows NERVEX shells as offered in BSC and metric only. (IT, CH & 26TPI and not mentioned)

Possible that builder used a metric shell thst got mixed in the BSC bin or maybe was "just using up what was to hand."

---

One detail found slightly surprising is the absence of reinforcement given to seat binder ears. Typically, when one gets to workmnship of this calibre the builder will either "float" some brass onto the backside of the ears or else braze in a cylinder to give them support. (Note the deformation shown in the bare metal image of the seat lug.)

By the late 1970's this situation was dealt with by the employment of investment cast lugs on frames of this quality.

---

Be bend Ventoux?

---

WRT dating - currently thinking a window of 1955-60.

---

Readers: there is another discussion thread on the frame in the British forum retrobike -

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=392481&p=2902782&hilit=stallard#p2902782

[membership not required to read posts or view images]

---

All best to our buddy Buddy & friends [emoji813]eyes:

BTW - they may wish to read or post in this thread:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/lets-see-your-cat.107917/

-----
I don't recall why I was thinking it was right hand thread both sides. It is not. LH on the ds and RH on the nds. English thread.

I'm not sure what the seatpost clamp might be missing. It seems to work fine, and doesn't appear inadequate to me. I think he cleaned it up somewhat before painting it.
4c25790cde17017ec5e4a54a9bff2d6a.jpg

I don't recall why I was thinking it was right hand thread both sides. It is not. LH on the ds and RH on the nds. English thread.

I'm not sure what the seatpost clamp might be missing. It seems to work fine, and doesn't appear inadequate to me. I think he cleaned it up somewhat before painting it.
View attachment 953138

-----

Did not intend to suggest anything "missing" from "seat post clamp."

Attempted unsuccessfully to explain something about construction practices.

Apologies for any misunderstanding.

-----

What does "Be bend Ventoux?" mean?

-----

Within the context of handlebars "bend" is Brit terminology for pattern shape as in "Maes", "Randonneur" or "all-rounder." These patterns would be termed bends. Since you assembled the cycle with a GB stem and a GB bar with the "map of Britain" I am thinking it appears to be the GB Ventoux bend.

34s5ljb.jpg

qqpq3o.jpg

---

Regarding your statement of the shell being right hand threaded on both sides, it appears in the second post on this page -

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vi...sid=4f62b334e5ebc58e3625df54ed089689&start=10

---

Winnie is a cutie :hearteyes:

What a beautiful coat she has!

-----

Last edited:
Back