When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As - Thor 5-speed. My latest mystery

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Seems all the French headbadges have the word "Deposse" on them what does it mean?

-----

The usual phrase is "marque depose" which translates to the English "Trademark"/"Registered Trademark."

In other words a name is legally owned by someone for business purposes.

Edit:

Oops, I see 3-speeder beat me to it. ;)

-----

------

Nameplate of American made Thor -

nv4md5.jpg

------

Cool headbadge. I found some info about Thor brand when I was researching my bike but hadn't seen this. Thanks for sharing.

------

think I forgot to mention -

am a member at a Belgian bike forum and checked the archives there to see if the AS -Thor badge had ever been discussed and the result was zero entries. so think we can safely say that is one rare marque you have there. ;)

------

I've been so curious about this bike. Could never find any information about As-Thor other than what you've shared. Is the 7 stamped under the bottom bracket the serial number? Makes ya wonder. Thanks Juvela

I've been so curious about this bike. Could never find any information about As-Thor other than what you've shared. Is the 7 stamped under the bottom bracket the serial number? Makes ya wonder. Thanks Juvela

-----

Can make no statement of certitude.

A single character marking on a frame such as a letter, number or symbol can sometimes indicate the worker who actually produced the frame.

Do not wish to assert that here; mention it only as possibility.

Another thing it can sometimes indicate is the plant which produced the product, as in the case of a large producer with more than one facility. An application which would seen unlikely in this case... ;)

A third possibility is that it could represent the mark of an inspector. For example, it might be procedure that frames were inspected after brazing and prior to moving on to plating and painting. Each inspector would have a mark identifying them specifically.

-----

Last edited:
Back to our OP's classically French-looking bike.
This is Labiche's bike from the movie The Train, a movie about Paris during the occupation.

IjH0szq.jpg

DplqJhg.jpg

Last edited:
Back