When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Model A servicing

-

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Could anyone point me in the direction of servicing/set up info for the ND 'Model A' coaster hub.
Total novice needs help.

Take pics of disassembling to use for assembling. Here is a pic that should help!

B67804D1-A270-44AF-AF0F-E90E8C1BA56F.png

CABFC7E6-4978-47F3-A9FD-9024C4DFF535.png

0A63AC49-C7F2-495C-878E-140CAB505A99.png

8080FFC6-0BB2-4FD5-8F28-5FB8EEE62711.png

I'm specifically looking for any 'how to' tips on removing sprocket from driver?
And also, which parts should be oiled? And what oil is best?
Thanks,
Darren.

I've got first hand experience removing a sharktoothed sprocket frozen onto the driver. After soaking for a couple days with liquid wrench and Kroil, heating with a propane torch a bit, I became inpatient and began tapping gently on the teeth in the direction it should go using a block of wood and a rubber mallet. Graduated to a wooden mallet. Eventually there was a crisp 'TING' and one of the teeth snapped off. That took the wind out of my sails and I berated myself for not being more patient. Reached over to adjust the driver in the vise and the sprocket was so loose I spun it off with a finger. The sacrificed tooth must have appeased the seized thread gods...

Here's my favorite view I found on someone else's overhaul page.
ND Model A Expand.jpg

And here is a nice overhaul description on the ratrodbikes site.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/u-c-b-hub-project-new-departure-model-a.48972/.

Mine after disassembly and cleaning.
ND Mod A Expanded.jpg

ND Mod A Assmbled.jpg

Good luck,
Gary

I've got first hand experience removing a sharktoothed sprocket frozen onto the driver. After soaking for a couple days with liquid wrench and Kroil, heating with a propane torch a bit, I became inpatient and began tapping gently on the teeth in the direction it should go using a block of wood and a rubber mallet. Graduated to a wooden mallet. Eventually there was a crisp 'TING' and one of the teeth snapped off. That took the wind out of my sails and I berated myself for not being more patient. Reached over to adjust the driver in the vise and the sprocket was so loose I spun it off with a finger. The sacrificed tooth must have appeased the seized thread gods...

Here's my favorite view I found on someone else's overhaul page.
View attachment 958127

And here is a nice overhaul description on the ratrodbikes site.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/u-c-b-hub-project-new-departure-model-a.48972/.

Mine after disassembly and cleaning.
View attachment 958131

View attachment 958132

Good luck,
Gary
Thanks Gary!
The step by step process on the "ratrodbikes" site is superb, just what I was looking for.
One other question, I’m assuming that the sprocket is right-hand threaded onto the driver?
I just want to check that's correct before I resort to the torch and hammer method tomorrow.
Thanks for the lucky wishes, I may well need them.

I have rebuilt and used several model A hubs. DonChristie is absolutely correct the model A did not have the thin nuts, but based on my personal experience I always add them. Without them the cones can back off. New Departure must have discovered this back in the day because they added them on newer models they devoloped. So the nuts are not period correct but they will prevent your hub from disassembling itself. Good luck and reach out if you have questions

Back