When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on this saddle? Brand? Original appearance?

-

Tyberius

Look Ma, No Hands!
Trying to find any information on this saddle from my 1910ish big K badged Kenwood. Has (or had...) a plywood sub-base and I assume a stuffed leather top. Seams like saddles seem to be found in intact condtion or bare frames and not a lot in between so I haven't been able ID it.

Any help appreciated.

IMG_4518.JPG

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

IMG_4522.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

(sound of crickets chirping)
I think the crickets you are hearing is due to this question being difficult to answer without knowing the brand of saddle. Have you checked with The Wheelmen library to see if they have a "1910ish big K badged Kenwood" catalog in their collection in order to see what the catalog says what saddle the bike was equipped with? The Bicycle Museum of America in New Bremen, OH also has a large collection of original bicycle catalogs, possibly they could help ID the saddle if they have the appropriate catalog.

Last edited:
kenwoodsaddles.jpg

Thanks for the info everyone. I know from this 1895 Kenwood catalog they did make their own proprietary saddles (or repackaged someone else's). None of theyse looked anything like mine so hence my query- these all seem more like racing or gender-reassignment saddles. Anyway, I guess no silver bullet in terms of identification, but I do appreciate the help - it will help inform what I do with the renovations.

Since your bike has a coaster brake, (looks like a New Departure Model A?) if it is original to the bike, your bike is newer than 1900. Your 1910 (+ or -) date might be correct. The 1895 catalog is of little use.
Your saddle does look like one from maybe 1910, more likely it is newer than 1910.

Do you want to restore or replace the saddle that you have? Or do you want to determine what saddle the bike might have had originally?

FTT-

Good eye! it is a ND model A coaster brake. I would like to know what saddle it had on its originally. The more I stare at mine I'm wondering if mine is missing a front loop spring?

Original renovation plan: Source period hubs and have replica wheels made so that bicycle can be a rider but could also be put back to "as-found" condition. I have a replacement model A rear hub, having trouble finding a correct front hub (its quite narrow in width). I had an artisan make new wooden grips, found OK-ish period pedals.

Evolving renovation Plan: I don't realistically see this ever going to be a wall hanger / museum piece- just not rare or valuable enough. Tires are old but not original, I might just trash the rims and wheels and have new wood rims and appropriate tires put on. Probably renovate existing saddle or find acceptable modern replica.

Since your bike has a coaster brake, (looks like a New Departure Model A?) if it is original to the bike, your bike is newer than 1900. Your 1910 (+ or -) date might be correct. The 1895 catalog is of little use.
Your saddle does look like one from maybe 1910, more likely it is newer than 1910.

Do you want to restore or replace the saddle that you have? Or do you want to determine what saddle the bike might have had originally?

Back