When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Late '60s Sears Spyder turned bmx

-

bobbystillz

Finally riding a big boys bike
This was my second childhood bicycle that I got as a hand-me-down from one of the neighbor kids. It was set up EXACTLY like the Schwinn pictured below, but it was a Murray frame with no guard. It was painted mostly primer black with a couple of splotches of red and blue primer as well.

Screenshot_20190317-121138_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

I remember being offered $100 as a first grader for the bike from a guy that owned a garage up the street that restored vintage cars and built lowriders. I said "No thank you" because I knew (at the time) I couldn't get a new bike for $100.

Anyway, the 80's was a makeshift transition time in the vein of its predecessor the 'pig bike'. As ballooned were modded into what became muscle bikes, muscle bikes were modded into bmx bikes.

I took the bike off so many jumps, I stripped out the stem. After constant tightening and shimming, my dad finally welded the bars to the stem. I took it off of more and more jumps until I finally broke the weld as well lol! This time, my dad took me to the LBS and I picked out a brand new bmx stem and bars.

At age 14 or 15 I did my first paint job on it. I painted the frame red, the stem was black, so I painted the forks black as well. Around 18 or 19 my buddy and I revamped it again. Having grown up around bmx and lowriders I wanted to do an homage to both. That led to this iteration: cream frame, root beer stem and fork, Daytons, and sport fenders.

Screenshot_20190103-154431_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

Finally, around the age of 29, I decided to do a more polished version of the same vision. I painted the frame back, the stem and fork green, swapped out the seat for an apple green brooks saddle. My buddy who had sourced the fenders for me before, hooked me up with a nos guard which I pinstriped with green and black, added a deco glass reflector to the rear fender, and nos white waffle peddles. This was my PRIDE and joy for the majority of my life. I sold it 3 yrs ago to someone who gave me the 'let it go' price. No regrets, it was a faithful friend for many years, and fed & bred the creative construction of vintage bikes I now possess. FIN

Screenshot_20190103-154530_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

20190318_001849.jpg

Screenshot_20190318-011822_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Back