When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tank for a Electra?

-

57pack

Look Ma, No Hands!
I apologize for this not being a post about a vintage bicycle. Although perhaps a vintage item may be available for this post.
My wife has a Electra Hawaiian 26” girls bicycle that our children purchased for her some ten years ago or so.
Nice riding bicycle but she would like to have a tank with a horn it it like her old Columbia she had as a girl.
Does any one know of a tank that would possibly fit this bicycle?
Electra for some reason doesn’t offer a tank only a tank bag.
Thank you

Electra made, makes several types of frames. Some with single down tubes and some with more of a cantilever style frame. I would suggest posting a picture or two to help people help YOU.

Good suggestion, I’ll get a photo of her bicycle posted tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sometimes, girl's bike frames may be more similar or forgiving in allowing another manufacturer’s tank to be adapted by minor fitting adjustment, and girl's bike tanks are often available at lower prices than men’s. so, if one is forced to adapt a non-original manufacturer's part, it is best when the mis-match looks the least out of place.

Last edited:
Ok here’s a few photos of my wife’s Electra Hawaiian 26” girls bicycle. Has anyone done a fitting of day a Schwinn or another brand tank?

803373BE-537A-444E-85DB-53240F10A842.jpeg

AA086EE3-2DFD-40E0-8E5D-896DF16A06FF.jpeg

559B5249-F4A5-484E-9570-B1D47EC451EE.jpeg

7E2E6A06-A4AA-4AE5-8EDE-D662AE125CEE.jpeg

You would be better off buying an older schwinn or some else with a tank.use the electras wheelset and shifter.maybe the seat.properly set up,it will ride the same.unless electra made a bike with that frame style that came with a tank,i doubt it can happen unless you had one made.possible but not cost effective.just my 2 cents.

Maybe a wooden tank. Start with a block of 4 x 6; use cardboard templates, a band saw for the profile cut, and other wood-working tools and skills?

I have that bike in purple and also have 50's and 60's girly Schwinns. The tanks from them wont fit on the Electra

I was looking at pictures of boys Schwinn bikes with the cantilever frame like a Phantom would have. Has anyone tried fitting that type of tank to a Electra? Frames look similar.

Maybe a space-bike tank would fit, with some large gaps.
Bugeye tank 21.jpg
The difficulty in fitting tanks, (besides overall dimensions), is the curves, and a cantilever frame has 3.
The Electra looks to have more aggressive curves, and larger head tube than the earlier tank bikes.

Back