When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn DX-13

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Special thanks to GTs58 for your insights on the paint job! Here's what I think I found out last night:

--Exactly what GTs58 said appears to be the case: originally a red bike with white pin striping. The red exposed areas faded to a red/gold look before the bike was repainted blue. As GT said, the areas where the white pin striping were would likely now be the original red color, and they are.
--I removed some of the re-paint from the fenders, and they exhibited the same color transformation, so they appear to have been originally painted red with white pinstripes. I'm carefully trying to document via photo exactly where the pin striping was in hopes of recreating them.
--I tried to carefully remove the re-paint from the seat tube, but unfortunately did not come across any decals. However, as you can see from the shot below, the area of the tube where the decal was seems to have been is clearly identified by the area where the original red color is intact. Any insights anyone has on this is greatly appreciated.
--I was able to find a marking on one of the rims, it reads: M. O. Mfg. Co. This rim is not painted, it's chrome that needs a fair amount of TLC. The other rim appears to be painted, and I've not found any markings on it as of yet.

Hopefully the painted fenders will help us narrow down the types of Schwinn this may be.

Onward!

Red paint on fender where the original white pinstriping was, 3/4" from the edge of the fender
IMG_1192.JPG

Original red paint on seat post seems to have been preserved by where a decal once was
IMG_1193.JPG

Another shot of the preserved red paint on the seat post
IMG_1194.JPG

Excellent job on stripping that down to what's left of the remaining original paint! Not sure what your serial number was but I'm going to say it was the earlier guess between the two dates of 1955 and 1957. The base coat does look goldish verses the silver aluminum undercoat used later. The seat tube decals, or decal preservation of the paint, tells me what the model was based on the serial stamping. The bike had a wrap around seat tube decal along with the round Schwinn Quality decal above it. Only model in 55 with those was the American!
Sorry to say that the wheels were replaced. MO was a Murray marking.

1555783008152.png

Excellent job on stripping that down to what's left of the remaining original paint! Not sure what your serial number was but I'm going to say it was the earlier guess between the two dates of 1955 and 1957. The base coat does look goldish verses the silver aluminum undercoat used later. The seat tube decals, or decal preservation of the paint, tells me what the model was based on the serial stamping. The bike had a wrap around seat tube decal along with the round Schwinn Quality decal above it. Only model in 55 with those was the American!
Sorry to say that the wheels were replaced. MO was a Murray marking.

View attachment 983701

Thanks for sleuthing this with me--very happy to finally know what I'm dealing with, now I can set about restoring it properly! The description above from the catalog is very helpful. My version of the 26" American does not have front hand brakes so it's the coaster version it appears.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as we go on...first one that strikes me:
The front fender has holes in it that appear to be for mounting a torpedo light...wondering if that was an option on this model or if someone did some retrofitting along the way to allow for a light to be mounted. I'll try and upload a photo of the fender at some point.

Thanks for sleuthing this with me--very happy to finally know what I'm dealing with, now I can set about restoring it properly! The description above from the catalog is very helpful. My version of the 26" American does not have front hand brakes so it's the coaster version it appears.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as we go on...first one that strikes me:
The front fender has holes in it that appear to be for mounting a torpedo light...wondering if that was an option on this model or if someone did some retrofitting along the way to allow for a light to be mounted. I'll try and upload a photo of the fender at some point.

4/20: After further examination of the holes on the front fender where the light was mounted, one of the holes doesn't seem to be machined perfectly round...wondering if someone modified the fender at some point to accommodate a mounted light?

In post #12, you found that the American was a cantilevered frame with a coaster brake. If you read a little more, you'll see that the rims are identified as Schwinn Tubular S - 7 Chrome. If you'll take a look at the tires, you'll see that they're probably 1.75 x 26. The S -7 rims require a 1-3/4" tire. The two sizes are not interchangeable although they're both considered middleweight tires. That's something else that would tell you that the bike isn't as old as you thought. The middleweights didn't come out until late 1954. Could be that the screw in the lamp was somehow just pulled through the fender leaving you with a non machined looking hole. I'll check tomorrow; I may have the 'hockey stick' chain guard you'll be wanting. Can't help you with the chrome S -7 rims.

In post #12, you found that the American was a cantilevered frame with a coaster brake. If you read a little more, you'll see that the rims are identified as Schwinn Tubular S - 7 Chrome. If you'll take a look at the tires, you'll see that they're probably 1.75 x 26. The S -7 rims require a 1-3/4" tire. The two sizes are not interchangeable although they're both considered middleweight tires. That's something else that would tell you that the bike isn't as old as you thought. The middleweights didn't come out until late 1954. Could be that the screw in the lamp was somehow just pulled through the fender leaving you with a non machined looking hole. I'll check tomorrow; I may have the 'hockey stick' chain guard you'll be wanting. Can't help you with the chrome S -7 rims.

The tires on the bike both read 26 X 1.75 on the sidewalls. One tire has the brand name Oxford on it, the other has the brand name Super Crest. The rims apparently are not original. GTs58 helped identify one rim as a Murray product (marked "M.O. Mfg. Co."), the other rim appears to be painted and I've not found any identifying marks on it yet.

Thanks, let me know if you come across the chain guard and what you would need for that. Thanks in advance.

The tires on the bike both read 26 X 1.75 on the sidewalls. One tire has the brand name Oxford on it, the other has the brand name Super Crest. The rims apparently are not original. GTs58 helped identify one rim as a Murray product (marked "M.O. Mfg. Co."), the other rim appears to be painted and I've not found any identifying marks on it yet.
It does sound like both rims have been replaced. Schwinn rims from 1955 were stamped Schwinn Tubular S-7 (or S-2, or S-6 or ...) whether chrome or painted. Also, the S-7 has a single knurled strip in the center of the rim.

It does sound like both rims have been replaced. Schwinn rims from 1955 were stamped Schwinn Tubular S-7 (or S-2, or S-6 or ...) whether chrome or painted. Also, the S-7 has a single knurled strip in the center of the rim.

Back