When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

c. 1987 Mécacycle «Chrono»

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kohl57

On Training Wheels
I have completed the restoration of a 1987 Mécacycle «Chrono». Mécacycle, one of the last new quality French cycle firms founded (in St. Etienne) is most famous for its split seat tube "Turbo" model and its pioneering MTB bikes.

The model here, the Chrono, was a conventional frame for time trialing and criteriums and made in Vitus, Columbus and Reynolds tubing featuring all filet brazing. This frame is Reynolds 753 and the most expensive and rarest of Mécacycle's road models. The finish and workmanship of this is absolutely top class.

This has been fitted out with all French components at the very end of the era when this was still possible.

Built up weight is 20.1 lbs.

Full details and many more photos here:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/album/1221834

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

1-IMG_8211.JPG

1-IMG_8212.JPG

1-IMG_8152.JPG

1-IMG_8222.JPG

Yes, the front/rear derailleurs and levers are Sachs-Huret New Success (made in France) and the crankset is also Sachs New Success but made in Germany (by Thun). The other components are CLB Omega brakes, Stronglight titanium bb, Maillard CXC Hinault pedals, Atax seatpost/stem, Philippe 'bars (a rare aero model), Reydel saddle, Mavic hubs and Wolber rims... so it's virtually all French.

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

The blurred stripes are so French somehow and remind me of arrows. Nice bike.

Alas these are not the pedals on my machine.. 100 per cent FRENCH made Maillard CXC-700D Bernard Hinaults, thanks very much!

Last edited:
Hard to believe a frame that big at 20 lbs. About 1/2 the weight of a similiar size Varsity.

Back