When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lambert identification

-
Those lambert cranks are not Sq taper just Square. and the spindal has keeper rings so it's grooved and that causes weak spots also the BB is not threaded.

From Sheldon Brown:
"
The "Death Fork"
The bikes (both Lamberts and Viscounts) came with a cast aluminium (aluminum) fork which was pinned to a steel steerertube. Early production didn't even have the pin. This fork was the main problem as it had a tendency to snap off the steerer tube with predictably unfortunate consequences to the rider.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A LAMBERT OR VISCOUNT BE RIDDEN WITH THE ORIGINAL CAST ALUMINUM FORK!!!!!!!!!
(Having said that, I ignorantly rode my Viscount with the original fork for 8 years including many 40-45 mph descents in the bluff country of southeastern Minnesota for 6 of those years. The patron saints were working overtime for me!).
Yamaha purchased the Viscount in 1978 or so and promptly recalled every cast aluminum fork ever sold on a Viscount or Lambert, replacing them with a chromed steel Tange fork."

Put a magnet on the fork blade - then you'll know what you have.

It's the dumbest design ever - taking the part of the bike that functions more as a shock absorber than any other part, and making it out of a material with no endurance limit and with inherent manufacturing flaws. With continued use, they are guaranteed to crack at some point in time. Even forged aluminum with fewer and smaller inherent flaws, would eventually crack in this application.
The beauty of steel is that it has an endurance limit - a stress value below which it is monolithic and will not crack.
I'm a metallurgist and licensed professional engineer. Stated simply, I know more about destroying things than anyone else you may know. About 10% of my work is product liability litigation - 90% doing the same thing for industry.

Last edited:
20190521_162902.jpg

Back