When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hiawatha train badge, Murry built, not Shelby!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A little research pays off, I got the correct Murray Hiawatha badge from a few year old post and its on its way from Minneapolis ( thanks @frank71 ) Mike that's the 4th Murry built Hiawatha with the same badge kinda confirming my theory of Shelby vs. Murry built badges ( nothings ever 100 % ), my new badge is a little worse for ware from rivet removal but I can touch it up or if someone comes up with a nicer one ;)

Just wanted to throw some additional observations out there regarding this badge. My Shelby built Gambles Hiawatha has what looks like the non-murray style badge. For reference, this is my Gambles Hiawatha as found with the early Shelby chainguard and badge, which I am pretty sure are original. The "H" touches the border. Another thing I noticed that seems to have been missed so far is that the light beam coming from the train itself also is different. On the Murray badge, the light is separated by a line and does not blend into or touch the border of the badge, same as the "H" .. On the Shelby badge (mine) the H and the beam both blend into or touch the badge border. Maybe this determines maker?...
010_15A.JPG

bikehiawatha.jpg

IMG_0010.JPG

The beam! There are probably more differences, I’ll see when I get them side by side, all my other badges are off Shelby’s and no gaps to border.

Well I got the Murray/Hiawatha badge today, I usually don’t clean patina of a badge but this one was pretty dark and bent up with some scratches so I did some detailing. Side by side you can see a lot of differences from the Shelby/Hiawatha badge
4CA0E6D4-3BC3-41F8-A06E-9D925BC28912.jpeg

149BB65E-FDE7-4558-B53A-08F62CA2EA3E.jpeg

97AB38BC-7389-4E08-A647-729A7F71445F.jpeg

C7D18F76-E874-4D26-B948-8F42204C4F34.jpeg

FA700539-E19D-477D-8C87-716177B37F6B.jpeg

The profile now fits perfect as opposed to the Shelby/Hiawatha badge, Not sure about colors tho, I’ve seen in green or black with orange for Shelby, Murray so far only green with orange. Was going to touch up the orange but it was an odd burnt orange I’d have to mix so we’ll see. It’s on the bike for now.
82B4D543-278C-4F9E-8DE1-DD3E44FC643A.jpeg

1BEA0F29-71E8-4F88-8D7E-C77B604988BE.jpeg

7D24AB28-DF06-44AE-9D0F-88C6269E71B4.jpeg

looks curved and not touching 2 me,but o would rather not sell to somone who really doesnt know what they want,been there have no interest in goin there again,startin to sound like a corvette site!!
must b a frustrating way to live!!

Are you serious? He described exactly what he was looking for, and noted some of the differences between the two.
Post #16 above, shows the two variations side by side, and there are clearly many differences.
No reason to be offended that the one you have is not the one he was looking for.

Maybe I should have started a new thread but looking for another one of these Murry built ( not Shelby ) Hiawatha badge! I tried to explain and is shown in this old thread. also a couple more differences, the Murry has a "mustache" below the grill and second pic is how much bigger the bump around the top rivet is.

Last edited:
Back