When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Columbia Special Deluxe Barn find

-
20190606_135530.jpg

Still colors under all the rust.
20190606_150822.jpg

20190606_140449.jpg

Frame has a rich merlot color. May turn out ok. Chain guard is missing, still looking.

Hi,

for the numbers, I see H11, which means the frame was made November 1941.

Please could you confirm the other number, which seems to start G? Thanks,

Best Regards

Adrian

Thanks for the quick reply.

Looking at the pictures you are doing a good job.

It should be 5 or 6 numbers long (yours I think 5), since the G numbers started at G17434. So there may be another number on the end. Please let me know, if you get the chance?

Either way, it's certainly G3XXXX, so the frame was built up into a bike Jan or Feb 1942. Which makes it one of the last prewar bikes, not fitted with Blackout parts.

Also, there was a hold on bike sales for a while immediately following the Pearl Harbor attack, which may explain the time lag between the frame being made, and the bike built up.

This bike is G35983, so I think has the type of chainwheel and guard yours would have had originally.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/need-some-westfield-columbia-bicycle-help.150891/

Best Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for the quick reply.

Looking at the pictures you are doing a good job.

It should be 5 or 6 numbers long (yours I think 5), since the G numbers started at G17434. So there may be another number on the end. Please let me know, if you get the chance?

Either way, it's certainly G3XXXX, so the frame was built up into a bike Jan or Feb 1942. Which makes it one of the last prewar bikes, not fitted with Blackout parts.

Also, there was a hold on bike sales for a while immediately following the Pearl Harbor attack, which may explain the time lag between the frame being made, and the bike built up.

This bike is G35983, so I think has the type of chainwheel and guard yours would have had originally.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/need-some-westfield-columbia-bicycle-help.150891/

Best Regards,

Adrian

I will give the SN another look.
Who knows why the chain ring got replaced along the way.

Your bike is looking good, nice paint colors and combination too. That is some real good work you are doing. When I saw your before pictures, I was a bit skeptical on whether this bike would doll up or not, but its actually looking really nice and presentable now. Can't wait to see the final end result; I bet it will be great! If you keep your eyes peeled for an original paint tank and chain gaurd for the right price, that would also be an option, and it would really make this super deluxe then!

Your bike is looking good, nice paint colors and combination too. That is some real good work you are doing. When I saw your before pictures, I was a bit skeptical on whether this bike would doll up or not, but its actually looking really nice and presentable now. Can't wait to see the final end result; I bet it will be great! If you keep your eyes peeled for an original paint tank and chain gaurd for the right price, that would also be an option, and it would really make this super deluxe then!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I really like the reds and burgundy colors that take on a nice effect with time. I got my hands on a correct red rack with the proper amount of weathering to match. As you know, the tank will be a hens teeth thing. I am going try my hand at faux patina paint job on a reproduction chain guard. I just would like to see if I can get it close to matching the original patina. I am in the research stage at the moment. If anyone can direct me to a step by step process on "Faux Patina" paint, much appreciated.

Back