When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Sears Spaceliner Reference

-
Just picked this up and was told it is a sears spaceliner and I can belive it but when I looked through the reference info provided I didn't see my model number which is Mod. 502 46160. I would like to try to figure out what I need to make this bike whole again so any information you can provide would be great.
Not a Spaceliner. The serial number is for a 1961 Flightliner. The seat, pedals and grips are non-original, as is the remnant of a light on the front fender. The chrome chain guard is also an aftermarket add-on (part 5299 from Sears for $0.97).

Here's a link to get you started on your restoration. Good luck.
http://www.nostalgic.net/1961-j-c-higgins-flightliner

Last edited:
The seat, pedals and grips are non-original, as is the remnant of a light on the front fender. The chrome chain guard is also an aftermarket add-on (part 5299 from Sears for $0.97).

Thanks for the info, now I have to decide what to do with it. I like Spaceliner tank better and may just try to find one and go with that on it, if it fits, and a few other custom touches. but for now I'll work to get it rideable and enjoy it.

In '61, the bikes were labeled JC Higgins; the Sears name was started in 1964. All bikes built for Sears by Murray had the code MOD 502 stamped into them.

Brent,
When did the stamping of the serial number, et al, move from the BB to the rear drop out?
Thanks
Ed

Brent,
When did the stamping of the serial number, et al, move from the BB to the rear drop out?
Thanks
Ed
My guess (subject to further investigation) is 1964 when they switched over from JC Higgins to Sears branding and introduced the Spaceliner.... but that's a guess as I haven't looked into it.

EDIT: Ed, I'm retracting my above comment. I came across the following post from someone with the same Flightliner model but which had the serial number stamped on the rear dropout, so logically the stamping position changed in 1963 (or earlier) while the bikes were still branded JC Higgins. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/what-murray-do-i-have.113669/

Also, although I stated Slick4d4d's frame, above, is from 1961, I'm not 100% certain of that. I quoted that year because it was the first mention of that model number (chrome, deluxe model) in any of the Sears catalogs, but that doesn't mean it wasn't available in earlier years. It only means they didn't show it in the catalog between 1959 and 1961.

Last edited:
Great read! I found this site and this post after picking up this bike at a local second hand store. Most of it looked stock and thought I had picked up a Spaceliner based off the chain guard until i read through this post. Kind of weird that this is a mix of a couple bikes or at least the chain guard on this Murray variant. Trying to figure out what exactly I have with a serial number that seems different. The way I read it is M08 54X25634198. Anyway, thought I would throw this out there to see what you guys/gals think. My specialty is old bmx bikes so this is a new to me. Thanks.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

According to the Murray serial number project, the M08 would be a 1968 designator, and the X25 in the serial number would be a JC Penny (Foremost) designator. The Murray serial number project is on this site. It's easiest to find by Googling "Murray serial number project" than to try and find it by scrolling around. It's in the balloon threads.

Spaceliner or Flightliner? I have one,,,or the other..
Trying get it all apart to clean the chrome and all is well but cannot find out how the tank comes apart.
b2a-M.png

b3a-XL.png

b1a-L.png

Be careful cleaning the frame, that's clear coat over bare metal. If you break that surface you will get rusting.

Back