When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some new storage.

-

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Haven't posted anything for a while. Decided to build a shed. Got 8 hooks to get some bikes out of the house and into the new shed. I looked at the shed kits at Lowes and a couple other places. Total junk. This shed is the largest I can build where I live without having to get a permit. 10x12. I hate getting a permit because it always means, "higher taxes." I used 1/2 inch OSB for the walls , but 1/2 inch 4 ply plywood for the roof and 3/4 T&G treated plywood for the deck. 2x6 rafters and floor joists, 16 inch OC. Some of the kits had 2x3 inch rafters, 24 inch on center with 1/2 inch OSB covering the rafters and joists. Unbelievable junk. Total material cost will be aprox. 1800.00, which kills me. Material costs are ski-hi. I started as a carpenter back in the 1960's when fir plywood was 3 bucks a sheet. Now it's all yellow pine crap or this OSB junk.
IMG_2935.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2933.JPG

And guess what's winding up the skinny oak tree, right next to the shed? Poison Ivy. It goes easily over 30 feet up the tree and was all around the base, where I had to work. Bad stuff.
IMG_2937.JPG

Nice job Tinker! I agree with the ridiculous prices on building materials and I see you deleted the code required $200 worth of Simpson Strong Tie metal attaching hardware. lol

I've had many sheds over the years with sizes up to a 10 x 12 and they never seem to satisfy my needs. Here's my current shed, a 16 x 50 x 20.

New Storage Unit 1.jpg

Haven't posted anything for a while. Decided to build a shed. Got 8 hooks to get some bikes out of the house and into the new shed. I looked at the shed kits at Lowes and a couple other places. Total junk. This shed is the largest I can build where I live without having to get a permit. 10x12. I hate getting a permit because it always means, "higher taxes." I used 1/2 inch OSB for the walls , but 1/2 inch 4 ply plywood for the roof and 3/4 T&G treated plywood for the deck. 2x6 rafters and floor joists, 16 inch OC. Some of the kits had 2x3 inch rafters, 24 inch on center with 1/2 inch OSB covering the rafters and joists. Unbelievable junk. Total material cost will be aprox. 1800.00, which kills me. Material costs are ski-hi. I started as a carpenter back in the 1960's when fir plywood was 3 bucks a sheet. Now it's all yellow pine crap or this OSB junk. View attachment 1045227

View attachment 1045228

View attachment 1045226
And guess what's winding up the skinny oak tree, right next to the shed? Poison Ivy. It goes easily over 30 feet up the tree and was all around the base, where I had to work. Bad stuff.View attachment 1045243
WHAT SIDING ARE GOING TO PUT OVER OSB?

Looks like the perfect spot, nestled between the trees. I could definitely use a shed like that and agree that the kits from some of the home supply stores are junk! When I went and looked at our local home store, the display models were more of an exhibit on why not to buy them. The paint was still pretty fresh, but they were already falling apart.... doors sagging, door latch falling off, etc. I think that your bikes are going to be happy with their new home!

Back