When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found Wanted: Schwinn MODEL C rack

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OC_Rolling_Art

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hi all,

Building a '39-'40 Schwinn Model C (frame has ears), I have all parts except the rear rack like the one shown here. Same rack as an Aerocycle or Cyleplane. I'm open to a reproduction rack.

I have an NOS maroon and cream tank and an NOS maroon front fender and a black rear fender (neither have braces). I would consider a matched set of fenders with flat braces. I also need a Delta Horn-Light if anyone has one.

Thanks!
Model C rack.jpg

The non-cataloged, equipped C models made after 37 seem to all have 9 hole racks. They also didn't use the flat fender braces, had push button or "no horn" tanks, and a torpedo light on the fender.
Thanks Autocycleplane, I welcome your knowledge here. The one thing I’ve noticed with Model C's in particular is they seem to be the most ambiguous. Illustrations in period literature even after ’37 show the rack pictured (at least the ones I’ve seen), and most owners posting photos of nice original paint bikes from ’36-’39 show the same rack (and the chrome Delta horn-light), but I have seen a few bikes with 9-hole racks and/or Torpedo lights. It is also the only straight down-tube or double-diamond frame offered all the way to 1941 to my knowledge, some models switched to the curved down tube in ’37 and almost all by ’38. Most agree that the frames were made earlier, but surplus frames used to ’41. A lot of prewar Schwinn guys swear that all Model C’s had a straight down tube frame, until someone posted a photo here of one with a curved down tube (the first and only one I had seen).

My tank has no provision for a horn/button like you mentioned. I will look at my serial number tonight and post.

As for flat fender braces, I just love ‘em and am always looking for an excuse to use them.

Mike

Thanks Autocycleplane, I welcome your knowledge here. The one thing I’ve noticed with Model C's in particular is they seem to be the most ambiguous. Illustrations in period literature even after ’37 show the rack pictured (at least the ones I’ve seen), and most owners posting photos of nice original paint bikes from ’36-’39 show the same rack (and the chrome Delta horn-light), but I have seen a few bikes with 9-hole racks and/or Torpedo lights. It is also the only straight down-tube or double-diamond frame offered all the way to 1941 to my knowledge, some models switched to the curved down tube in ’37 and almost all by ’38. Most agree that the frames were made earlier, but surplus frames used to ’41. A lot of prewar Schwinn guys swear that all Model C’s had a straight down tube frame, until someone posted a photo here of one with a curved down tube (the first and only one I had seen).

My tank has no provision for a horn/button like you mentioned. I will look at my serial number tonight and post.

As for flat fender braces, I just love ‘em and am always looking for an excuse to use them.

Mike

Sorry I was in a hurry above. I’m certainly not a catalog-correct stickler by any means with my personal bikes. Build/ride what makes you happy, works for me. I just didn’t want someone languishing for an aero rack unless they really wanted one, I’m personally not a fan of the design but each to their own.

Oh, and that produced earlier thing is probably pure folklore hogwash.

Sorry I was in a hurry above. I’m certainly not a catalog-correct stickler by any means with my personal bikes. Build/ride what makes you happy, works for me. I just didn’t want someone languishing for an aero rack unless they really wanted one, I’m personally not a fan of the design but each to their own.

Oh, and that produced earlier thing is probably pure folklore hogwash.

No worries... ALL good points. Mike

Thanks Jim at JAF/CO for firing up the assembly line, and for all who chimed in. This rack is really going to help make the bike. Thanks! Mike

Back