When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar straightbar

-

Salt Flat Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked this bike up today for a good deal. The locking fork has a key and works good. The wheelset is off of an Elgin. It's definitely missing most of the parts, but I kind of like how it looks. Under the crappy respray it looks like the bike was black with red darts and gold pinstripping. I'll try to see if I can get the spray paint off because it looks like a lot of the original paint is still there. Serial number looks to be w04902. Year?
IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

As I understand that fork was a 1935 (first year) model. But it was used on some later bikes as well. I just picked up a 1936 but no locking fork. I have one of the same forks you have though, and plan to put it on my 36. Nice that they DID use that fork on some of the later bikes though so it would still be "correct" on a later bike. :)

Have you pulled the cranks yet? I just pulled mine a few minutes ago and found that they were dated 36.

As I understand that fork was a 1935 (first year) model. But it was used on some later bikes as well. I just picked up a 1936 but no locking fork. I have one of the same forks you have though, and plan to put it on my 36. Nice that they DID use that fork on some of the later bikes though so it would still be "correct" on a later bike. :)

Have you pulled the cranks yet? I just pulled mine a few minutes ago and found that they were dated 36.
That's really interesting about the fork. I haven't pulled the cranks yet. I think the cranks have actually been swapped out, they look like a later version. I think the chainring might be original though.

most likely a 38 frame but the fork looks like its earlier found in 36....is the frame also black with red and gold? cool color combo!
From what I can tell the paint on the fork and the frame are the same. It's hard to get a pic of it but you can make out the red diamond and the darts on the top tube with the same gold pinstripe as the fork.
IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

Look up the post in 'Restoration Tips" Five minutes with Goof Off. Try some Goof Off on a small area of that blue paint to see if it lifts off. If Goof Off doesn't lift that blue paint, Easy-Off extra strength cleaner may do the trick. That original paint can be brought back. Have fun.

I'm with SJ. Just from viewing the pictures it looks like it's possible the fork may have been installed later and someone did a close paint match on it with the frames paint scheme. Just taking a wild guess here from what I can see, the red on the fork is red red and the red on the frame looks somewhat faded with a slight orange tint to it. Keep that in mind if and when you strip off that blue.

Last edited:
Back