When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early '50s multi speed hub question...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PAValentine

Finally riding a big boys bike
Around 1950 I seem to remember buying some kind of converter to change my regular coaster brake into a 2 or 3 speed unit. In my mind it was a Bendix hub that I had, but that is memory from nearly 70 years ago...

Whatever it was, I installed it myself, and it was not an entire hub replacement. I'm certain that I did not relace the wheel. It just seems like I took some parts off to put the new thing on, and it worked!
Bendix 3 speed is what I seem to recall, but it certainly could have been something else.

So.... What kind of manual shift, 2 or 3 speed conversion units could I have bought around 1950?
I now know New Departure had some...
And did Bendix have anything manual shift around 1950?

And...what is the difference between ND 'D' and 'DD' hubs with regard to multi speed???

Thanks!

I remember that I was a little disappointed in it too.
I lived in West Virginia on top of a hill, and whenever I went down the hill, eventually I had to come back up.
On a good day, I pumped up the hill. On an off day, I just pushed the bike.

I wanted the multi speed to help me peddle up the hill. What I didn't realize until later is that there was a trade-off!!!

That lower gear required a lot more RPM from my legs, so I wasn't sure how much better off I was!

Sounds like you had a New Departure TriplSpeed upgrade kit. They started selling those around 1950. Prior to that New Departure sold a 2 speed upgrade unit. Bendix multispeed hubs were never sold as an upgrade, you bought the whole hub.

Back