When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting Chrome or Bright Metal on G519 Tribute Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Michael Boyd

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi All,
Getting ready to paint and assemble the G519 Tribute bike and found a lot of helpful ideas on this site....thanks to all.
Question: I followed the advice of someone in here and got the air pump off eBay from overseas. ( I did get the Bergerwerke air pump holder part which is perfect)
As I start painting it OD(again got it from the company that was suggested on here)

Do you just primer the chrome and bright metal parts or is there something else that it needs for the paint to stick....particularly on a part like the chrome down below or the rims. Thanks in advance, Mike

10B6BEF8-A195-4A4C-B71B-084DC9076C6E.jpeg

Scuff up the chrome with a green scotchbrite or sandpaper. Prime and paint. It'll easily scratch, but the nice thing is it's easy to touch up.

I think I can handle the “scruff” idea , unfortunately, in my town I don’t think we have a plater, but that knowledge will helpful on a future project.
I’ve done a lot of painting with my antique cars and MC’s , but you never paint chrome, so I had a hunch there was something that needed to be done before priming in order for the paint to stick and hold.

I think I can handle the “scruff” idea , unfortunately, in my town I don’t think we have a plater, but that knowledge will helpful on a future project.
I’ve done a lot of painting with my antique cars and MC’s , but you never paint chrome, so I had a hunch there was something that needed to be done before priming in order for the paint to stick and hold.
I just painted the same tire pump recently. Sanded lightly with 600 grit. Red primer. Another light sanding. OD green paint. Another light sanding.
Final coat of OD green. Looks great with the Bergerwerke pump clamp. Used a black Sharpie on the hose to cover up the red.
Good luck with the project.

As suggested, use the Scotch Brite pad then use a self etching primer, not just an enamel based primer.

Hey Mike,

Is the pump you purchased good for schrader valves? It looks similar to the one I was about to buy off of eBay for my own Tribute bike. The pump is listed as a “Vintage Classic Hand Pump” from I believe a French vendor. But that particular pump is for presta valves only. Looks like the one you pictured may have come with a schrader adapter on it? Hard to tell. Do you have a link or more info as to where you purchased the pump? Thanks, greatly appreciated! Regards, Bob

Yes it is the French vendor on eBay.
When I get a chance today, I’ll compare it to my presta valve pump for my 1942 Truppenfahrad.
On memory , doesn’t look like my presta pump, but here are pictures for now , hope this helps.
Bottom line , for a very reasonable price , it provides the part to complete the bike.
But I’ll shoot some comparison photos later today. The vendor , unfortunately, gives you no info. BTW , it took about 3-4 weeks to get here.

A33DB4E5-2677-4002-9C42-0BAD3FBD6F83.jpeg

E929BBCA-BE84-4848-B799-633575C2A30D.jpeg

9585ADF9-616B-444B-AB69-C2605325B7D7.jpeg

24B1610D-B9C0-4111-8823-81728C870584.jpeg

E2F80661-0C03-493F-ACF0-7C8E5C7AA1B8.jpeg

scuff it and wipe it down with acetone (removes all oils , grease , fingerprints etc...)
before painting.

Back