When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New find. 1940 Schwinn Canti Autocycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Yeah, super interesting tank.
No switch or horn button hole?
Switch tanks were usually reserved for the full deluxe trim, but I’ve always thought that the Fenderlight was a mind blower when it came out, so you would want that feature for sure.
But the Crossbar Speedometer and Full Floating Saddle, were still the shi+, so you would also want those also.
No light switch is necessary on the tank, because it was all self contained in the front fender.
The horn button is on the crossbar housing, so you don’t need the button on the tank either.
This bike is exactly the way I would’ve ordered it in 1940!
Unfricken Believable!

I’m thinking, that the remnant in the side of the tank was probably a toggle or pushbutton type switch for the tail light that was up by the rack.
Maybe this type of tail light?
6EC54658-CDE4-4F1F-83FD-E19F60B4A49A.jpeg

3F222D10-BE67-49C4-BB14-2C0E8F4C84E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Never seen one of these with a fenderlight and speedo together....use to seeing them with a fender bomb and dual lights. Pm sent...i have some parts for this if needed.

Yeah, super interesting tank.
No switch or horn button hole?
Switch tanks were usually reserved for the full deluxe trim, but I’ve always thought that the Fenderlight was a mind blower when it came out, so you would want that feature for sure.
But the Crossbar Speedometer and Full Floating Saddle, were still the shi+, so you would also want those also.
No light switch is necessary on the tank, because it was all self contained in the front fender.
The horn button is on the crossbar housing, so you don’t need the button on the tank either.
This bike is exactly the way I would’ve ordered it in 1940!
Unfricken Believable!

Read his description more closely... says the switch hole is there but no evidence screws were ever fastened down.
(why would they? bike has a fender light) cool and confused 40' Schwinn

Back