When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Little Progress on the Fairway Foods Cycle Truck...

-

REC

I live for the CABE
In Memoriam
Back in August, I ran across the ad for this CT and it caught my attention due to the signplate it had on it. Thinking it was kind of interesting, I discussed it with my wife and got approval to go for it.
I made the arrangements and it was shipped. At the same time, we were given the news that Hurricane Dorian was going to be coming our way. The boxes arrived while the storm was hammering the Bahamas and kind of stalled movement wise. I opened the boxes to look at it briefly and locked it in the shed while we waited to see what Dorian was going to do. Time passed and then this behemoth storm moved further north and eventually away from us. Over the next couple of weeks there were other smaller windbags out there that also decided (Thankfully) to move on without hammering us.
As of the beginning of this week, I finally did some uncovering of the house windows and such, and got some ambition together to get further into working on this bike. I knew when I bought it that there were some pieces that weren't with it, but I thought I had those parts in the stash, so I went on with it. I had most of it nailed down but still had a few parts to hunt down, so I am now at the point were I am waiting for pedal parts. Pretty much everything else was here, and the attached photos show the beginning (from the ad) and the current state of progress as of the end of the day today. I wasn't looking to turn it into a restoration, just to refurbish it to a degree...
As it came:
40's CT1 A (2).jpg

40s CT1 B.jpg

And today's end of work:
IMG_3108.JPG

I may put another photo up once the pedal parts are done, but this is the general idea I had in my head to begin with. I am looking around still for a little nicer crank/sprocket set-up, but this works for now.

With this out of the way, I can now get back to work on the white '48 CT2

Thanks for looking!!
REC

The pedal parts got here today... Nicely made replacement wood pedal blocks!
Looks better to me now. Where its sitting is a little cramped and the weather was not being completely cooperative at the time so the photos were cramped up too.
IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

Where do you guys get the clamps for the sign? I have a cwc truck with 1" frame tube and I am looking for clamps. Thanks

Thanks for the input, guys. I wish I could have gotten it outside for the pictures, but the rain kept coming and going that day. I'll give it a shot again in the not too distant future.
REC

Looking good ! I cant believe the prices of the wrap around large baskets.I saw some in the $750 dollar range and they didnt have lids.

I don't recall seeing a large basket with a lid before. The Post Office bikes when I was a kid had soft covers for the baskets that had elastic around the edges, and had similar material wrapped around the exterior of the basket itself. The summer rain was like clockwork... Every day about 2PM. The prices on these baskets in good condition have been high for a while. I recently lucked into a NOS one, early prewar style, in the box, and no it wasn't cheap or even close to cheap. The used, near NOS one I used on the '65 I restomodified almost 10 years ago was toward the top of your reference to price, but it was 10 years ago. This bike has as many NOS parts on it as I could find when I was getting it together, and has a Bendix 2 speed kickback hub in the rear and the seat has since been replaced with the proper NOS Mesinger 7000. I need to take some new pictures!
The '65:
65 CT2.jpg

Here is a '41 with the barge basket:
41 CT2.JPG

and a '52:
52 CT2.jpg

I'm in the middle stages of redoing a '48 currently, and also have a 50 CT1 that has a big basket on it since I bought the bike, but it is about to be changed back to what should be on it soon.
'48 CT2 currently under construction:
IMG_3115.JPG

The only lidded ones I own are small basket models, and I think there are two of those at this time. I need to find another lidded small basket in the not too distant future for another one here that the lid was too badly damaged to re-use
'43 with a lid (basket is correct part but was added after purchase of the bike:(
43 CT1.JPG

'48 MCT1 (non-powered) with lid, on the original basket that was vinyl covered when the bike was new:
48 MCT1.JPG

There are about 13 others (including a Worksman with the steel strap type basket, and a Ross) here that at least two are still in the boxes they were shipped to me in due to needing a good bit of re-work to make them rideable. I'm still in the hunting gathering mode on the Worksman...
The '57 Ross, a Chain Bicycle Corporation product (Built up from a frame and fork with no original bike photos for reference, so I used what I could alter in the case of the chainguard and several other pieces:(
08 57 Ross CT.jpg

Life gets in the way sometimes!

REC

Back