When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wisdom about hobbies from "Detectorists"

-

gkeep

I live for the CABE
Reading a few posts today I kept coming across references to maintaining peace with the spouse. As one of those hunter gatherer types from way back with way too many hobbies and interests I was reminded of this scene from the British TV series Detectorists. This show is hilarious and more so if you have an eccentric hobby or 10. My father was a rockhound, antique toy and train collector and model plane builder/flyer to name a few. I inherited the gene...

If you've ever metal detected or are history geek like me and love good well written comedies you should check out the show. I avoided it for years as people kept telling me how good it was but being a metal detectorist since my teens I thought it would just make cheap jokes about my people, how wrong I was...;)

Great show.

I wanted a drum set for my 7th birthday. My dad blindfolded me and brought me to what I thought was a music shop. When he pulled off my blindfold, we were in a shop with coins, Civil War relics, etc. That’s when he pointed to a brand new Garrett Groundhog Metal detector and told me that was my gift. I had never been so disappointed in my life. But that all changed with my first big find; a US Civil War belt buckle found on a family farm in MD. Great hobby.

Haven't swung a detector in a little while now, have a fisher F75. Fun hobby though and I loved that show! Anyone into youtube channels and likes metal detecting, I'd suggest The Hoover Boys, Green Mountain Metal Detecting, and The Stealth Diggers. They all love the history, aren't obsessed with the value of the finds.

Back