When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909 Cycles Gladiator racer - Questions and to paint or not

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
For the loose cranks, you probably have a situation where the crank keys are just barely engaging the middle of the axle which allows the crank to rock back and forth. You can build up the crank axle slots with a little brazing and carefully file to correct this. Use a Dremel tool to grind off just some of the surface metal in the slots to ensure a good brazing knit. You can also try making new crank keys with less of a taper. Since you said you are not going to do much riding on this bike, this is a quick fix without materially altering anything.

The best thing to do with a new acquisition that gives you some concern, is nothing, for about six months.
That gives you plenty of time to get over the bikes imperfections, and allows you to approach things with a more conservational attitude.
Your bike is an antique, and it looks as it should.
The signs of wear and tear are what gives it life.
Embrace and Enjoy!
That’s what it was built for.

The best thing to do with a new acquisition that gives you some concern, is nothing, for about six months.
That gives you plenty of time to get over the bikes imperfections, and allows you to approach things with a more conservational attitude.
Your bike is an antique, and it looks as it should.
The signs of wear and tear are what gives it life.
Embrace and Enjoy!
That’s what it was built for.
Couldn't agree more. I still have the mud on my 1991 serotta mountain bike the last time I rode it before it's retirement.

That is a good rule of thumb to follow with a find like this. At 110 years old, what's another 6 months?

Back