When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-War Stewart Warner speedometer information please

-

Nashman

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I bought this nice speedo off Bad Bob Snyder on Ebay for a Silver King. I like it. I'm confused. After over 35 years in the hobby , I still have LOTS to learn. I thought "most" S/W speedo's shared the same cable head drive threads ( several types at the wheel), and except for some older pre-war threaded spindles coming from the back having a larger shoulder, then tapered ( therefore a larger hole in the bracket) they were quite universal. This one has inner threads on the back cylinder coming from the speedo back and the 2 machine bolts to attach to the bracket. Is this the correct bracket? When it lines up and is attached/only fits one way I can see?, the speedo and bracket are on a strange angle. What cable does this unit take please? Thanks in advance. Bob

s-l1600.jpg

speedo 2.jpg

speedo 4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bob, yep you have a Speedo from about 1936 or so..fits on the left right side of the stem,takes the dreaded internal thread. Drive basket on right side of rim,plus take a funky drive unit. Funny been messing with one today,.had no fun..

Hi Bob, yep you have a Speedo from about 1936 or so..fits on the left right side of the stem,takes the dreaded internal thread. Drive basket on right side of rim,plus take a funky drive unit. Funny been messing with one today,.had no fun..

Ha!! Thanks Gary. So is the bracket correct/offset like that? Seems a bit bogus? It's going on a display bike, so I'm not TOTALLY bent in having a correct cable. As it sits, I just don't like the long bracket and offset. I can alter it to my taste, ( shorter and straight) because I can't be purist on all my projects. I'm a Canuck, parts are hard to come by up here, .65 dollar, and shipping kills me, then we pay tax and duty, often broker fees too. I never do anything easy or affordable. Why...I dunno?

That's kinda funny you were messing with one of these "bad boys" today too. Does your bracket look like mine? If you have pics, pls share, maybe even the cable I'll never find. Ha!! PM if you prefer. Thanks, Bob

Well here is some pics ..1st pic is the S.W Bike Speedo. 2nd is the underside of the correct bracket.3rd pic is the crazy way I had to "reverse " the drive to make it work,note how the drive gear is up-side down.4th shows the male screw in drive, 5 th shows the early style drive (will not work on the bike ,braces in the way) 6th pic shows the difference between early and later prewar drives .7th and 8th pic shows the 2 drives , 9th is the bracket .

Well here is some pics ..1st pic is the S.W Bike Speedo. 2nd is the underside of the correct bracket.3rd pic is the crazy way I had to "reverse " the drive to make it work,note how the drive gear is up-side down.4th shows the male screw in drive, 5 th shows the early style drive (will not work on the bike ,braces in the way) 6th pic shows the difference between early and later prewar drives .7th and 8th pic shows the 2 drives , 9th is the bracket . View attachment 1095188

View attachment 1095189

View attachment 1095190

View attachment 1095191

View attachment 1095192

View attachment 1095193

View attachment 1095194

View attachment 1095195

View attachment 1095196
WOW....Thanks. I'll have to absorb that tomorrow. I've had a few brew. I guess my bracket is home made. Now I can butcher it? Ha!! I know the early drives ( I even have one NOS) is the correct way to go. Cable is probably impossible to find, making it work, crazier. Good for you tho. I'm too dim and lazy, but will get it looking functional. Just a display. THANKS!!

WOW....Thanks. I'll have to absorb that tomorrow. I've had a few brew. I guess my bracket is home made. Now I can butcher it? Ha!! I know the early drives ( I even have one NOS) is the correct way to go. Cable is probably impossible to find, making it work, crazier. Good for you tho. I'm too dim and lazy, but will get it looking functional. Just a display. THANKS!!
I guess I have an addiction to speedos.. I have vintage speedos on most of my bikes .. I NEED HELP! I HAVE AN ADDICTION !!!

Back