When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing stuck handlebar grips

-

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
I would like to remove the old Schwinn grips to soak them and remove the dark gunk on them but they are stuck to the handlebar and will not budge. I don't want to damage them so how can I get them loose safely and what can I soak them in to make them whiter? My first thought is Clorox bleach but wonder if that will damage the 60 year old rubber grips.

Air compressor and a blow nozzle., through the end hole, and don't forget to plug the hole in opposite grip..

For grips without holes in the end, place the blow nozzle tip tightly against the edge where the grip meets the handlebar.
Do this at various points around the grip

The blow nozzle trick works to reinstall them as well, but we used hairspray.
The stuff works like a lube to slide on, sticks when dry and is water soluble when you need to remove the grip.

Citrus degreaser and a soft toothbrush work well for cleaning, and don' t have to volatile chemicals which may melt, damage
or dry out the grips.

Edit* I see you've gotten the grips off - I've used a heat gun to gently heat the bar and the grip on some stuck on torpedo grips awhile back. The WD40/Windex trick has also worked well for me (maybe try the windex first if the grips are still pliable) I've never had good luck with simple green. Seems like it makes the grips really sticky afterward. I usually use a toothbruch and dawn dish soap and hot water.

Back