When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Hawthorne Zep Twin Bar CWC vs Snyder

-
Still haven’t seen a Green Zep
Looks like I made the holes for the battery cage on this one

FB42AAA8-F694-47C8-A6BD-5C10CBA0D95E.png

My hypothesis is that the CWC bikes could be had in any of the CWC color schemes. I was speaking to a fellow collector today about these bikes and we began to wonder how/where the bikes equipped with the shockmaster fork were put together. Possibilites are they were assembled at a Wards shop, CWC forks were shipped to Snyder, or a third party assembled the bikes for Ward. Thoughts? V/r Shawn

My hypothesis is that the CWC bikes could be had in any of the CWC color schemes. I was speaking to a fellow collector today about these bikes and we began to wonder how/where the bikes equipped with the shockmaster fork were put together. Possibilites are they were assembled at a Wards shop, CWC forks were shipped to Snyder, or a third party assembled the bikes for Ward. Thoughts? V/r Shawn
Hey Shaun, I was on the phone with Jim when you posted. I think your theory is entirely possible. I believe there were a lot of transition year bikes built. Here is an example of a 38 “Y” frame with a springer and a person reflecto headlight as shown in the 39 catalog.

Last edited:
Looks like CWC has the two tone fender pinstripes that started on deluxe/supreme bikes in 39 vs Snyder single color pinstripes. :oops:
Because we only have one original paint CWC example, I don’t think you can make that a hard and fast rule. Here is an original paint 37 RMS. Catalog states it should be red outside stripe and white inside stripe. But actual is red and red.

More info. Here is a CWC frame with the very rare 4 hole sprocket. Also you can see the finished paint dart on the lower tank tube. Interesting fact. Catalog shows it as a 39/40, but the serial number is a “D” which according to our charts says late 38 early 39.

Back