When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
Early morning 34f ride. The forecast snow didn't show.

Saw this freak show last night, some people's kids...

Rode the San Gabrial river up to where the cement ends, where I spent many hours sense I was a kid, riding StingRays, 10 spds, Minibikes, Klunkers, Beach Cruisers, motorcycles, Mtn bikes now back to anything balloon. The stories I could tell and the trips, north to the mountains & south to the beach, That could fill a couple more threads, there wasn't a formal bike trail then so alot more work but way more adventure. there's alot of new snow and rain in the LA area but the dams are up, pic 2 shows rubber inflated dam ( with graffiti on it ) so water behind is soaking into the sandy bottom, pic 3 ( seat ) you can see the snow and that's where this river starts, and Mt Baldy ski resort is between those 2 trees, Our closest place to ski, and it 10,000 ft.

Last edited:
82f in the wintertime sounds so awesome-can’t imagine those kind of temps especially since I’ve spent every winter freezing. Would love that kind of weather once in awhile. Looks so nice.....

The winters here in Central Florida are pretty mild. This morning it was like 60 but temps go up during the day. January and February are by average the coldest here sometimes dipping to the 30’s but it doesn’t last long.

Just under 60 on the Hawthorne Flyer today. Down the coast, up Newport Back Bay and San Diego Creek when I came up on Mike and Troy pedaling at my pace, so I joined them for 25+ miles. They showed me a sweet loop through Irvine with some climbing and new bike paths. Really fun riding with them but eventually parted ways and rode back out to the coast along the water north from the wedge to Bolsa Chica, then south again through Talbert Regional and home to some Blueberry Acai sorbet frozen reward. Bike rode trouble free & carried me well as expected. Most excellent pedal.
View attachment 1052484

View attachment 1052485

View attachment 1052486

View attachment 1052487
View attachment 1052573
Sachs Dreigang 515 3-coaster rear. Dixie cartridge bearing 9mm qr front w/ceramic bearing upgrade. World Class Ti spindle sq spindle bottom bracket.
I just reported on my first 7000+ mi run with loose-ball ceramic in steel cup-and-cone.

When I searched ceramic bearing on the forum, you and I have the only posts about ceramic bearings in the entire archive.

Last edited:
Yes, and the prices have come down quite a bit on just the loose balls. The cartridge bearings in the Hawthorne are ceramic ball with steel races.
Full ceramic balls and races is still pretty expensive. Apparently, they make a significant difference when tested over distances. Hard to feel much diff really, but the hub is smooth!. I have had no problem with mine either over some miles..

Back