When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you use to protect your leather Saddles?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Obenauf's LP
I always use a blow drier to melt the beeswax into the leather.
This B-17 Select has 10,000+ mi on its second bike.

QB0vz4n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your replies. Until today all I knew about Cardiff is what I heard on Dr. Who. No idea they made saddles. While the Raleigh saddle does have a cloth backing it is made in Taiwan, so not a Cardiff I think. I did realize I should look at the care manual that came with the saddle. It is as funny as it is useless. It says to use "saddle grease", and also points out the "leather is super clean, do not eat". Picture attached. So that saddle may never conform, but it is okay as is. No problems after a 2 hour ride. I do plan to get a Brooks B17 or Flyer for my other bike. Big decision is springs or not. I am going to order some Obenaufs to treat both.
Thanks again.
Chuck S
View attachment 1114286
Chuck, Cardiff saddles are made in Taiwan, and sold from there under a different brand name. For awhile Rivendell imported them.
Taiwan is not a bad word in bicycles - the Japanese industry moved there in the '80s, and most Rivendell frames are built there (also offer Waterford custom frames).

Chuck, Cardiff saddles are made in Taiwan, and sold from there under a different brand name. For awhile Rivendell imported them.
Taiwan is not a bad word in bicycles - the Japanese industry moved there in the '80s, and most Rivendell frames are built there (also offer Waterford custom frames).
I wondered about that. I see on their website they are not currently making saddles, but it is likely they made them for Raleigh. I am old enough to remember when Japanese frames were considered crap, then good, but Taiwanese frames were considered bad. Now Taiwan makes some really nice frames. Taiwan also has a fantastic bicycle path infrastructure. I do like the saddle on the Raliegh, it also has a cool Heron stamped on the sides. Curious to see how I like a Brooks Saddle

I don't know who the actual manufacturer of the Cardiff saddle is (there are several brand names), but that looks like the exact same literature and tool. I agree that they'll probably outlast a lower end Brooks because of the cloth reinforcement that I suspect is there because they cut the leather from the hides with the least waste in mind rather than the direction of the grain. The frame also seems like it might be a little more solid.

I don't know who the actual manufacturer of the Cardiff saddle is (there are several brand names), but that looks like the exact same literature and tool. I agree that they'll probably outlast a lower end Brooks because of the cloth reinforcement that I suspect is there because they cut the leather from the hides with the least waste in mind rather than the direction of the grain. The frame also seems like it might be a little more solid.
Part of the fun will be comparing how the Raleigh saddle and my soon to arrive Brooks Flyer Saddle perform. We have been lucky with weather this December here in suburban Chicago, so I have been able to continue riding. My Brooks is scheduled to arrive this Friday, so hopefully I will get to try it out this weekend. If the roads are icy, I don't go out. I realize saddles are a consumable, but I am hoping to get some good miles out of the Brooks. It is replacing a $30 small Schwinn Cruiser saddle that has 4000 miles of use. Still intact, but the padding is not what it once was.

Back