When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultrasonic Cleaner

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The varsol tank is a great idea on bike parts.

As far as the ultrasonic goes, I learned to do my own organic extraction analysis as a freshman laboratory engineer (taught by the scientist who wrote the ASTM spec on IR analysis), so I have all organic solvents down pat.
Mineral spirits is the best choice for removing old lubricants.
Denatured alcohol is the choice for removing the thin residues after mineral spirits.
Hexane is the safest choice for old rubber and plastic.
You can buy any of these at your local hardware store.

My buddy was closing his vintage bike shop so he was selling off everything in the shop. I started buying stuff then noticed his ultra sonic cleaner he said $40 and I couldn't jump the piles of bike crap faster. What a great score I'm was looking at these a few weeks ago online glad I waited.
40750625311_09d5308263_z.jpg

I used a friend's once. It was unreal. Cleaned all off the smalls on a bike in minutes.

The varsol tank is a great idea on bike parts.

As far as the ultrasonic goes, I learned to do my own organic extraction analysis as a freshman laboratory engineer (taught by the scientist who wrote the ASTM spec on IR analysis), so I have all organic solvents down pat.
Mineral spirits is the best choice for removing old lubricants.
Denatured alcohol is the choice for removing the thin residues after mineral spirits.
Hexane is the safest choice for old rubber and plastic.
You can buy any of these at your local hardware store.
quoting myself here with a caveat.
If you use solvents in your ultrasonic cleaner, only do this in a space with good ventilation - it helps if you can cover your solvent container in the ultrasonic. .

I recently saw in another thread that another caber had an ultrasonic cleaner, and had excellent results cleaning bike parts with it so I decided to get one myself for cleaning hub parts. I thought I'd write up a review after giving it a try.

I'm late to the party but thanks for taking the time to write up a review and to everyone else for chiming in. Looks like a great shop tool....it'll be in my letter to Santa.

Bump. Is 10L a good size or would a smaller one be adequate? I need to be able to fit a Schwinn 1-piece crank set in there. Something tells me a 2.5-3L one wouldn't be big enough.

Anyone got any good tips for cleaning/soaking chains?
I soak mine for a week or two in paint thinner. If they are rusty with frozen links I’ll give them an OA bath.
After that process I’ll nail each end to my work bench. Attack it with a wire wheel in a drill rotating it so you do all four sides. If it’s still stiff I’ll soak it in transmission fluid for a week or more.

Back