When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID this 1920s Elgin Motobike..

-

TrustRust

Finally riding a big boys bike
This Elgin is my newest old bike and a bit out of my wheelhouse.. It has been kicking around a long time so figured it's about time I found out more about it..
I have read several threads going around and around on these Elgin Motobikes from this era regarding who made them and when....

Is it made by Excelsior Mfg Co Michigan City Indiana ?? What year ????
The serial number is A23355
Somewhere along the line at a bike show years back a gentleman then in his 80s told me it was a 1923..
Then he added that's when he was born lol..

Thanks in advance for any help...

IMG_3013 (1).jpg

IMG_3011 (1).jpg

IMG_3010 (1).jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

This Elgin is my newest old bike and a bit out of my wheelhouse.. It has been kicking around a long time so figured it's about time I found out more about it..
I have read several threads going around and around on these Elgin Motobikes from this era regarding who made them and when....

Is it made by Excelsior Mfg Co Michigan City Indiana ?? What year ????
The serial number is A23355
Somewhere along the line at a bike show years back a gentleman then in his 80s told me it was a 1923..
Then he added that's when he was born lol..

Thanks in advance for any help...

View attachment 1126739

View attachment 1126740

View attachment 1126741

View attachment 1126742

View attachment 1126743

View attachment 1126747

View attachment 1126749
I have a toolbox tank that would look awesome on that !for sale

Before Excelsior, Davis built Elgin bicycles for Sears; but then Davis closed about 1923. We see the “23” in the serial numbers, but I don’t believe that that is the code. I have seen Excelsior built Elgin bikes with and without letters in the serials, and I thought that the letters meant later than those without; (but then “A” is the first letter).
The chain ring sprocket reminds me of the Reading Standard design built by Great Western Mfg for Montgomery Ward Hawthorne bicycles.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, photos and the ad guys....
I am still hoping someone chimes in with some Serial number information?

Back